General UK LAUNCH OF 500: Facts or rumours....what,when,how much

Currently reading:
General UK LAUNCH OF 500: Facts or rumours....what,when,how much

Update again - one dealer is happily quoting £ 8000 / 9500 / 10800 for the three models and echoing the January 21 UK launch date mentioned above

Last edited:
Update again - one dealer is happily quoting £ 8000 / 9500 / 10800 for the three models and echoing the January 21 UK launch date mentioned above

Yeah, I was given ball park figures like those too. I opted for the Pop and threw in Aircon/Skydome/Chrome and was told that I was adding about 1200 - 1500 to the price

Jim

I had a good look at the new 500 in showrooms in Italy in the summer and saw several - though not many - on the road. I've had about thirty Fiats, including every generation of 500 - Topolino A and C, 500 Nuova, 500D, Cinquecento Sporting, and I have to say the new 500 is a real disappointment - podgy and bulbous on the outside with a facile attempt at a retro look, cramped inside, particularly in the back. I realise that it shares underpinnings with the forthcoming new model Ford Ka but unfortunately it also has much of the same character - style over substance, pretentious. Not for me, I'm afraid; my many Italian friends are not keen either and are horrified by the price.

pretty much my observations too....

Any more info from any more people.I am not convinced by the dealers now quoting the prices and full range being available from day 1 but you are giving the info in good faith and thats all I wanted.Anyone else got gossip or anything, even if it is wishful thinking from commission hungry greedy salesmen and dealers tellin us what they think we want to hearDont be shy tell us what you know.New job 4 me next week, hope i still get time to play on the net this forum is addictive

The UK dealer launch of the 500 took place earlier this week.
That is why some dealers are now giving out an idea of prices and
thinking about their own local dealer launches in late Jan, ahead of the official UK 500 launch date of 1 Feb 08

:D This does NOT mean that ALL staff at ALL Fiat dealers now know ALL about the 500. No siree. It is likely however that the dealer principal/owner/ a senior exec from your local Fiat dealer (or from the HQ of the company which owns it) now has UK launch information. (At last.)
:p :p :p

So all you have to do is:
1.Find the appropriate person at the dealership who went to the event
2.Get them to give you the information by asking nicely, or using bribery.
3.Come on here and share the information with us all.

I know that this week, Tuesday I think it was, the Dealers had a big get together at Castle Donington for the pre launch briefing or whatever they call it.

I know that this week, Tuesday I think it was, the Dealers had a big get together at Castle Donington for the pre launch briefing or whatever they call it.
You could have told me before it happened Daver
it's too late now!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :bang: :rolleyes:
Tell me everything else you know pronto or I come round and beat you!!!!!!!!;) :bang: ;)

cramped inside, particularly in the back.
You have never been in one then!

I drove mine back 1300km in one day from Turin and it never felt cramped for one moment and I normally drive an Alfa 166!

The UK launch will be in January, people will be notified as soon as OFFICIAL details are given to the dealerships, it is pointless any of them speculating until then. Deposits are building up at all the dealers, with some wild exagerations on numbers being touted too lol!

There are cars available to buy now, so if you want one - why not buy one! The only delay is getting it converted to UK spec as there are no RHD lights available nor MPH speedo's but this can be overcome. Then the only delay is good old DVLA.

Mine should be on the UK roads as a UK car in around 7-10 days now hopefully.

:( I didn't know about the dealer launch/preview event until after it happened.

:confused: There may be other events this week in other parts of the UK. I wish I had known about this 'Midlands' one at Donington, it's only an hour away from me - I may have been able to blag my way in!

:D Dealers who have attended only seem to be coming away with a rough idea of pricing.:D

Yes, Walkers have helped few people in the UK to import LHD 500s from Italy.
They're good chaps from what I hear.
http://www.walkers-garage.co.uk/
They are also famous for all-things Lancia, so its good to see they are taking the little 500 seriously:D

Auto Express News

With two of Europe's top manufacturers behind the move, the results are going to be spectacular. The new Fiat 500 Abarth and stunning Ford Ka ST - two fast and affordable city cars - are shaping up to offer giant-killing performance. But while both share the same mission, they will attack the performance market from very different angles.

Drivers won't have to wait long to get behind the wheel, either. First to arrive will be the 500 Abarth. With a wider track to improve handling, the Fiat will have a more muscular look than the standard model. The front end gets a new bumper design, while lower side skirts, inspired by the classic 595 Abarth, add to its appeal.

And as with its high-performance Grande Punto stablemate, the range-topping 500 won't wear Fiat badges. Instead, it will come with the Abarth logo on the front and rear.

Inside, the cabin will get an equally striking makeover, with a high level of standard equipment and bucket seats. A dashboard-mounted gearlever will easily lend itself to sporty driving, offering snappy changes.

The hot 500 won't be short on power, either. Under the bonnet will be Fiat's new 1.4-litre turbocharged engine. With up to 150bhp, this will give the three-door an impressive turn of speed. Drivers can expect a 0-60mph time of around seven seconds and sharp responses to match.

Prices for the new 500 have yet to be announced, but one thing's for sure - it won't be a budget hatchback. Aiming to offer a smaller alternative to the MINI, even basic models are likely to cost around £11,000. The Abarth variant is expected to be pitched at the heart of the performance supermini market, with a MINI Cooper-rivalling price of around £15,500.

However, there will be a cheaper way to get your hands on a great-handling city car. Ford's new Ka is based on the same platform as the 500, but it won't share the Italian model's upmarket aspirations. Instead, the next-generation baby will be a direct replacement for the current low-cost runabout.

That doesn't mean every version will be basic, though, with the popular Sportka set to be succeeded by a thrilling new ST model. Our exclusive gives a flavour of what to expect, with trademark cues, including racing stripes, a deep front spoiler and large diameter alloy wheels, all setting it apart from basic variants.

Upholding Ford's reputation for fine chassis dynamics, the newcomer will aim to offer a class-leading ride and entertaining handling. The ST model will get firmer suspension to provide even sharper responses, while company engineers will soon take to the road to fine-tune the dampers and hone the steering.

It's not yet known which engines will power Ford's new baby, but some are tipped to be shared with the Fiat. However, the ST is unlikely to offer more than 120bhp to avoid stealing sales from hot hatch versions of the next-generation Fiesta.

Even though it's set to be produced alongside the 500 at the Tychy factory in Poland, the new Ka will share no visual parts with its Italian cousin.

The standard Fiat 500 will go on sale in the UK early next year, with the Abarth version due soon after. Buyers wanting their baby hot hatch with a Ford badge will have to be patient, as the new Ka isn't expected to be on sale until later in 2008. Even so, whichever model you choose, it's bound to be worth waiting for.

Im confused, the new KA is to be made in the same factory as the 500, Panda and Seicento (600)... thing is Fiat struggle to keep up with demand for the Pandas let alone for the 500... how on earth are they going to also build the thousands of KAs as well, I can see this ending in tears. I mean, Ford will be wanting loads built, its a huge seller... I cant wait to tell the new KA owners they are actually driving a Fiat!

For some months I have been telling my friends on kaklub.co.uk and myka.org that the next Ka will be built by Fiat. Most of them are not happy at the idea.:D:D

I have owned kas for the last 9 years. I love the present Ford Ka. I am disabled and finding a comfortable little car is difficult, but the Ford Ka suit me fine. Anyway its time for a change....the ka can trace its roots back to the ancient Ford Anglia FFS and it is showing its age!

My heart says buy a Fiat 500 in early 08
My head says wait for the new (Fiat built) Ford ka, which should be cheaper, and, according to Ford will have sharper 'Ford-like' steering/handling set-up more suited to the scabby UK roads.
(The local Ford dealers seem a better bunch than the local Fiat dealer):p

Another advantage of the 500 is that it arrives in early 08.
It could be early 09 before the Ka arrives in the UK, Fiat are churning out 500s as fast as they can and there are only 24 hours in the day even in Poland.

<There was a blog by a Polish Fiat worker (its gone now) saying they wouldn't buy the overpriced 500 but would rather wait for the cheaper Ford version which will share many of the same components.>​

Autocar article on Fiat 500 prices:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/228992/

Fiat is sticking to the 500's humble roots by pitching the car at well under Mini prices when it goes on sale in Britain in January.
The cute Italian hatchback has long been tipped to match the Mini as a 'premium' product with pricing to match. But the prices announced by Fiat UK are lower than expected. The cheapest 500, the 1.2-litre, 69bhp Pop model, will cost £7900 on the road, almost £500 less than the 1.2-litre, 75bhp Renault TWingo. And the top-of-the-range 1.4-litre 500 Lounge - which gets air conditioning, alloy wheels, glass roof and a hands-free media system - costs £10,700. By contrast, even the basic 94bhp Mini One costs £11,625, and it lacks air-con on its standard kit list.
There's no price increase for diesel models, either; the 1.3-litre MultiJet models cost the same as the 1.4-litre petrols.
The new pricing is further proof of Fiat's renewed confidence; the company reported last week that its quarterly profits had more than doubled year on year, and it has more than tripled the percentage profit on every car it makes.

Fiat know how to make profits alright.But are they profiting by selling us a disguised Panda for top dollar price. 500prices look high compared to Panda and Punto but good compared to Mini.

I have been promised my 1.2 Pop in Jive Blue with Blue & me, chrome pack, audio upgrade, colour wing mirrors, bonnet trim, tints, Italia badge on front wings, height adjustable seat for 21st Jan:slayer:

Everyone seems to think they are getting their 500 for the 21st |january launch date.You cant all be first. What happened to all these advance orders all dealers were claiming to have for the 500. Suddenly you are all told that you are front of the queue and getting yours first. Fiver says it dont come til Feb at least Mark.:slayer::slayer:

I dunno... £10,700 for the Lounge 1.4 sounds reasonable, I thought it would be 12 or 13k?
A Panda 100HP is over 10k now. The £7900 for a POP isnt too bad either, especially when you think that in 1997 my Cinq Sporting cost me £7344!
Im with the Pole on this one though, wait to see how the KA looks and drives... my bet is it will be better.

Anyone on here bought one already apart from Mark Elvin

Anyone been told by their dealer
-you can order one but you will be waiting weeks or months to see it just like everyone else in every other country where its already been launched.-

Probably not.
Are dealers still saying they are expecting to get first ones arriving before xmas.if so I think someone should tell the guys in Poland to get weaving and make some right hand drive ones for us P D Quick.

Remember lads in Poland we want the steering wheels and the pedals on the right hand side:rolleyes:

Back