Technical uconnect upgraded - now has live services!

Currently reading:
Technical uconnect upgraded - now has live services!

As I've mentioned before, I have a very early 500X (2015) with the 6.5" unconnect, which never had live services.

During my first service last year, the dealer said they didn't know anything about live services and had no idea why my 6.5" didn't have it, when it clearly should.

Today was my second service and lo and behold, my uconnect was completely upgraded:

- new tomtom navi
- new maps
- working/enabled live services
- upgraded graphics (same as 2016/2017 models)
- upgraded bluetooth (much faster to connect/sync)

The dealer had no idea about the above, they just received two campaigns (recalls) which they applied, they are:

code: 106025A
Description: Campaign 6025A

code: 106000A
Description: Unit ECM-VP4

The 6025A I think is for the diesel engine management and the ECM is the control unit for the uconnect (VP4 in this case, since there is also a VP3).

What is interesting, the dealer has access to a "Live Uconnect" website, which shows that the upgraded ECM-VP4 unit has a software upgrade dated June 2016.

I know there are others like me with 6.5" units but without live services, so you might want to ask your local dealer about the above upgrades, they are free after all.

I too have been wondering if my new to me car has uConnect live on 6.5 screen!
Garage doesn’t think I have but when I rang CiaoFiat & spoke to a very helpful lady, she stated there is conflicting info to say wether or not my car is uConnect live capable!?
Thing is I downloaded the uConnect Ap and it appears to track my car but not all functions work!! Maybe it’s me?!
Is it me or has the world of Fiat Quirkyness caught up with it!?
Having had fiats in the past and present I know they can be fickle and I guess a different slant on life than the British!!
Will wait & see!!
Oh I asked about map update but that’s another issue!

Last edited:
I too have been wondering if my new to me car has uConnect live on 6.5 screen!
Garage doesn’t think I have but when I rang CiaoFiat & spoke to a very helpful lady, she stated there is conflicting info to say wether or not my car is uConnect live capable!?
Thing is I downloaded the uConnect Ap and it appears to track my car but not all functions work!! Maybe it’s me?!
Is it me or has the world of Fiat Quirkyness caught up with it!?
Having had fiats in the past and present I know they can be fickle and I guess a different slant on life than the British!!
Will wait & see!!
Oh I asked about map update but that’s another issue!

Regardless of the app uConnect Live will only work properly in company with a software upgrade at the workshops, it's necessary to have both. As far as the map upgrade is concerned, I gave in when they told me the price and bought a 7" Garmin for less money

Regardless of the app uConnect Live will only work properly in company with a software upgrade at the workshops, it's necessary to have both. As far as the map upgrade is concerned, I gave in when they told me the price and bought a 7" Garmin for less money

Mine didn't need a dealer software upgrade to use live services. It took ciao FIAT about 3 weeks to activate it though. I had to uninstall the phone app however as the speed camera alerts drove me mad and no matter what I did, they wouldn't deactivate. So basically I couldn't use the rest of the system because of a software fault.

However there is a software update available to dealers now. It won't stop the multiple alerts but the off option really does turn the alerts off. So I can use the Deezer app at least which gets rid of the distortion on music via Bluetooth playback! Don't understand why as it's all Bluetooth playback!

They are very particular these FIATs!

Mine didn't need a dealer software upgrade to use live services. It took ciao FIAT about 3 weeks to activate it though. I had to uninstall the phone app however as the speed camera alerts drove me mad and no matter what I did, they wouldn't deactivate. So basically I couldn't use the rest of the system because of a software fault.

However there is a software update available to dealers now. It won't stop the multiple alerts but the off option really does turn the alerts off. So I can use the Deezer app at least which gets rid of the distortion on music via Bluetooth playback! Don't understand why as it's all Bluetooth playback!

They are very particular these FIATs!

You're quite right Garree, I forgot that bit. I'm not convinced that Ciao Fiat truly understand uConnect any better than we do, they originally told me that my Live services couldn't be enabled as I was missing an unspecified piece of hardware. Glad to hear that the bongs now stay turned off

Just got off phone from Ciao Fiat apparently my car is enabled!?
What they can’t tell me is if my maps are the latest or have ever been updated?!?
Apparently contact a Fiat Dealer to find out!? Guess I’ll have to be patient!!
Oh & I’ll have to find a new road and see if it’s on there!? My suggestion not theirs!!

Last edited:
Just got off phone from Ciao Fiat apparently my car is enabled!?
What they can’t tell me is if my maps are the latest or have ever been updated?!?
Apparently contact a Fiat Dealer to find out!? Guess I’ll have to be patient!!
Oh & I’ll have to find a new road and see if it’s on there!? My suggestion not theirs!!

The Settings Menu will tell you how old your maps are

To Update - my Live Services was enabled about 2 weeks after I contacted Ciao Fiat. Not sure I'll use it much to be honest but it was the point! Just had to scan them the log book to prove ownership. Should Nav Maps now be updating?

To Update - my Live Services was enabled about 2 weeks after I contacted Ciao Fiat. Not sure I'll use it much to be honest but it was the point! Just had to scan them the log book to prove ownership. Should Nav Maps now be updating?

They won't auto update. If you have a 5" unit you have to create an account with TomTom, pay them about 50 quid, download the maps onto a USB stick then do it yourself.

If it's a 6.5" unit it's back to the dealer and give them whatever they decide to charge. In my case it was £200 which I politely declined.

Your right Alan this is going to be a long slow drawn out process!!
I will keep bombarding Fiat with calls!! No further forward.
But I did manage to get I phone todo this! IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited:
I believe that the 7" unit is user-updatable. To the best of my knowledge this lunacy only applies to the 6.5"

Perhaps Fiat should give a free upgrade to 6.5” owners?!?
If it’s not fit for purpose,then make restore confidence with a workable solution!
When a Fiat agent updates it, do they use a SD card todo so?!?
£200-00 is that mostly labour charge, (is this a standard charge set by Mopar)or are you paying for the SD card, can’t be unique to each vehicle!!

Do 5.0” owners have same issue, I believe they can update the unit themselves via a usb stick!
I wonder how many 500 X have the 6.5”!
I went on the uConnect site and it seemed quite logical, workable!?! I am awaiting an update from CiaoFiat, apparently my car is capable just wont do what’s asked if it!

IMG_0508.JPG
I have finally got a Reply from Fiat Customer Services!?
They agreed the car is booked in to sort out uConnect Live issues!?
Can anyone tell me what is the most up to date map version, because the one the car came with appears to he very out of date bless I am reading it wrong?!?

View attachment 190887
Can anyone tell me what is the most up to date map version, because the one the car came with appears to he very out of date bless I am reading it wrong?!?

Your maps are 4th Quarter of 2013, loaded onto unit 14 May 2014. Your software is version 14 and I believe we're on v17 now (mine is 16).

I was quoted £200 ish for a maps update by the dealer which I politely declined. A new release is due this month, but I bought a 7" HD Garmin with free map updates 4 times a year for life for less than the cost of one update. I realise that won't suit everyone but it has functions that the uConnect doesn't have and sits quite happily on the dashboard above the uConnect.

I rattled Fiat's cage long ago about spending £15K to £20K plus on an pretty poor SatNav/uConnect and still having to pay for maps updates. Quite poor really.

What I find even stranger is that in Italy their electronic systems (banks, shops, phone services, etc, etc) are always very current compared to say the UK. So how they can put dubious quality/functioning devises into new vehicles is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
I rattled Fiat's cage long ago about spending £15K to £20K plus on an pretty poor SatNav/uConnect and still having to pay for maps updates. Quite poor really.

What I find even stranger is that in Italy their electronic systems (banks, shops, phone services, etc, etc) are always very current compared to say the UK. So how they can put dubious quality/functioning devises into new vehicles is beyond my comprehension.

Couldn’t agree more, also don’t seem to care about Customer Services!!
The ongoing uConnect issue is still ongoing!!
Local garage in Sussex are trying todo there bit, but apparently Fiat will charge them £6k to update a map?!? Why can’t they just let Customers update their systems using USB or SD card!!
Simple

I have the 7" Uconnect and can confirm that it is upgadable by the user.
You get map updates for 3 years when you buy the car.
I have updated mine already, the maps installed on the 500X were from 08/2016 and now i have upgraded to 02/2018.
It works with TomTom services now.

Last edited:
View attachment 190887

There is definitely a newer version of the software and maps20170504_121924.jpg

Back