Technical uconnect upgraded - now has live services!

Currently reading:
Technical uconnect upgraded - now has live services!

As I've mentioned before, I have a very early 500X (2015) with the 6.5" unconnect, which never had live services.

During my first service last year, the dealer said they didn't know anything about live services and had no idea why my 6.5" didn't have it, when it clearly should.

Today was my second service and lo and behold, my uconnect was completely upgraded:

- new tomtom navi
- new maps
- working/enabled live services
- upgraded graphics (same as 2016/2017 models)
- upgraded bluetooth (much faster to connect/sync)

The dealer had no idea about the above, they just received two campaigns (recalls) which they applied, they are:

code: 106025A
Description: Campaign 6025A

code: 106000A
Description: Unit ECM-VP4

The 6025A I think is for the diesel engine management and the ECM is the control unit for the uconnect (VP4 in this case, since there is also a VP3).

What is interesting, the dealer has access to a "Live Uconnect" website, which shows that the upgraded ECM-VP4 unit has a software upgrade dated June 2016.

I know there are others like me with 6.5" units but without live services, so you might want to ask your local dealer about the above upgrades, they are free after all.

As I've mentioned before, I have a very early 500X (2015) with the 6.5" unconnect, which never had live services.

During my first service last year, the dealer said they didn't know anything about live services and had no idea why my 6.5" didn't have it, when it clearly should.

Today was my second service and lo and behold, my uconnect was completely upgraded:

- new tomtom navi
- new maps

The dealer had no idea about the above, they just received two campaigns (recalls) which they applied, they are:

The 6025A I think is for the diesel engine management and the ECM is the control unit for the uconnect (VP4 in this case, since there is also a VP3).

What is interesting, the dealer has access to a "Live Uconnect" website, which shows that the upgraded ECM-VP4 unit has a software upgrade dated June 2016.

I know there are others like me with 6.5" units but without live services, so you might want to ask your local dealer about the above upgrades, they are free after all.
Thank you for that info. I don't have uConnect live services enabled, although I do have DAB Radio. After lodging a complaint with Fiat about their lack of updates for the 6.5 uConnect maps an almighty row seems to be going on between Fiat and dealer (fortunately it was the dealer's suggestion to complain).

When it's resolved I'll be certain to mention this update.

Incidentally, re the other recall, I finally got to the bottom of that and it relates to allegations about emissions and testing a la VW. Didn't do my consumption much good either.

Pls see https://www.fiatforum.com/500x/445257-recall-6025-a.html

Cheers, most helpful

Last edited:
I'm glad we now know that cars without live connect are upgradable.

Now, I have to figure out why there is a smiley face on the uconnect screen that turns from green to yellow... :D:):D:)

I'm glad we now know that cars without live connect are upgradable.

Now, I have to figure out why there is a smiley face on the uconnect screen that turns from green to yellow... :D:):D:)

That's down to how you are driving. If it's green then you are more environmentally friendly [emoji12]

- new tomtom navi
- new maps

Took my car to the dealer today and had the update. I now have the same green smiley face a nice new uConnect Live icon in the Apps screen. And that's about where it ends.

I keep getting messages that my uConnect Live subscription has expired )new one) or uConnect Services not enabled etc.

How do you know you got new maps? Apart from a few colur changes I can't tell any difference, new road layouts still don't feature.

- new tomtom navi
- new maps

All I can say is lucky you. Having spoken with Fiat at some length this afternoon it became clear that even though I DO have the latest update and the uConnect Live app I will NEVER be able to get uConnect live as it depends upon a chip within the unit which my car is too old to have (May/June 2015) and TomTom Live only works with TomTom maps which I don't have.

I can enjoy the improved graphics, slightly redesigned NAV system and smiley green flower however, or apparently I can buy a newer unit which they would undoubtedly prefer.

The more I read about this subject the clearer it becomes that Fiat treats its customers with diffeent spec units completely differently, the updates for the 5" model are so simple to obtain and apply, but Fiat don't seem to be tremendously interested in supporting the 6.5" unit.

All I can say is lucky you. Having spoken with Fiat at some length this afternoon it became clear that even though I DO have the latest update and the uConnect Live app I will NEVER be able to get uConnect live as it depends upon a chip within the unit which my car is too old to have (May/June 2015) and TomTom Live only works with TomTom maps which I don't have.

I can enjoy the improved graphics, slightly redesigned NAV system and smiley green flower however, or apparently I can buy a newer unit which they would undoubtedly prefer.

The more I read about this subject the clearer it becomes that Fiat treats its customers with diffeent spec units completely differently, the updates for the 5" model are so simple to obtain and apply, but Fiat don't seem to be tremendously interested in supporting the 6.5" unit.

Don't worry. I can assure you that Fiat treats we customers with 5" Radio NAVs just as poorly. My UConnectLIVE has never worked from the day we bought it new on 1 October 2016. Fiat says it's "impossible" to fix even if I were to pay for it. This attitude has cost Fiat and FCA any chance of us ever purchasing a new Fiat or other FCA car from them again. They need some better strategic thinking at the management level if they wish new Fiat/FCA buyer to become repeat customers.

I contacted Ciao Fiat about out Live Services not being available on our car. Apols as I have forgotten who suggested on another thread but thanks to them - as was mentioned Live Services is deliberately not activated on Rental cars (ours was an ex-Europcar.) Had a call from a lady at Fiat today and requested to send a scan of our License and V5 and should be connected within a week (apparently!) Will update!

I contacted Ciao Fiat about out Live Services not being available on our car. Apols as I have forgotten who suggested on another thread but thanks to them - as was mentioned Live Services is deliberately not activated on Rental cars (ours was an ex-Europcar.) Had a call from a lady at Fiat today and requested to send a scan of our License and V5 and should be connected within a week (apparently!) Will update!

Your not missing anything to be honest!

Congratulations! I'm sincerely doubting my chances of getting this upgrade from my local dealer, but it's definitely worth a try.

- new tomtom navi

To my surprise, I was told by FIAT live support that Uconnect in my car uses maps from Here, not TomTom. It could be because my car is from the US, but I'm not sure.

Congratulations! I'm sincerely doubting my chances of getting this upgrade from my local dealer, but it's definitely worth a try.

To my surprise, I was told by FIAT live support that Uconnect in my car uses maps from Here, not TomTom. It could be because my car is from the US, but I'm not sure.

No, mine uses,maps from Here. I was quoted £200 to upgrade the maps, with a warning that would repeat every year. I pointed out that I can (and will) get a 7" screen Garmin with 4 free map updates per year, free Traffic Info and Free Camera Alerts for "Life" for £235, so why would I pay £200 p.a. to update the Here maps. The process is so complex, even the dealer struggles to understand it, so as soon as I have saved up the pennies I shall defect back to Garmin. TomTom also do a similar deal with a 6" screen.

I pointed out that I can (and will) get a 7" screen Garmin with 4 free map updates per year, free Traffic Info and Free Camera Alerts for "Life" for £235, so why would I pay £200 p.a. to update the Here maps.

You mean a separate navigation unit? Isn't it a bit less convenient than in-dash navigation? Is there absolutely no way to switch to Garmin or TomTom in-dash?

You mean a separate navigation unit? Isn't it a bit less convenient than in-dash navigation? Is there absolutely no way to switch to Garmin or TomTom in-dash?

Yes, but it involves buying a new head unit (circa £600-700) and risk losing some of the menu functions with a non-Fiat unit. I have always used a standalone Satnav before this car, so it won't be a drama. And no more constant beeps from the TomTom Live speed cameras [emoji23][emoji23]

Yes, but it involves buying a new head unit (circa £600-700) and risk losing some of the menu functions with a non-Fiat unit.

Wait, aren't there any Fiat units with TomTom or Garmin? Why buy a non-Fiat unit?

I have always used a standalone Satnav before this car, so it won't be a drama. And no more constant beeps from the TomTom Live speed cameras [emoji23][emoji23]

I use an Android phone with TomTom app. I really like it, and I don't mind those speed camera beeps, but I always wanted to try in-dash navigation. Unfortunately, it's problematic in my case, because I have only North American maps in my Uconnect navi.

Wait, aren't there any Fiat units with TomTom or Garmin? Why buy a non-Fiat unit?

I use an Android phone with TomTom app. I really like it, and I don't mind those speed camera beeps, but I always wanted to try in-dash navigation. Unfortunately, it's problematic in my case, because I have only North American maps in my Uconnect navi.

Surely you can have your local maps installed? But in my case HERE maps were going to cost me £200. Unless I downgrade to a 5" unit (no idea if the 7" unit fits, but no doubt it's expensive) I don't see a suitable Fiat unit, and why downgrade?. I'd rather keep the built in unit for everything except Nav and plonk a standalone 7" unit over the top of it

Surely you can have your local maps installed? But in my case HERE maps were going to cost me £200.

Actually no, I can't. I've been struggling with that ever since I bought this car. I would gladly pay for upgrading or switching to local maps, but our local dealership flat out refused to assist me in that regard. Fiat has no problem with changing one European region with another, but switching from North America to Europe is an entirely different matter. Basically, I'm stuck with my current maps and there seems to be no way around it.

Actually no, I can't. I've been struggling with that ever since I bought this car. I would gladly pay for upgrading or switching to local maps, but our local dealership flat out refused to assist me in that regard. Fiat has no problem with changing one European region with another, but switching from North America to Europe is an entirely different matter. Basically, I'm stuck with my current maps and there seems to be no way around it.

I would have thought that it was no more complex than changing one set of image files for another. Was the car advertised as "having Satnav" when you first bought it? I wonder if they can do that if the Satnav is all but unusable unless you take the car to US, or was it just advertised as "US spec"?

I would have thought that it was no more complex than changing one set of image files for another. Was the car advertised as "having Satnav" when you first bought it? I wonder if they can do that if the Satnav is all but unusable unless you take the car to US, or was it just advertised as "US spec"?

Not sure about the Satnav, but this car was specifically made for the US market, with all the consequences and restrictions, like not receiving all the radio stations because of the frequency regulation differences.

As for changing the map region, it is my understanding that the head unit is hardcoded to a specific region and you can't just change the map data, you would need a jailbreak for that, which leads to a legally grey area.

Not sure about the Satnav, but this car was specifically made for the US market, with all the consequences and restrictions, like not receiving all the radio stations because of the frequency regulation differences.

As for changing the map region, it is my understanding that the head unit is hardcoded to a specific region and you can't just change the map data, you would need a jailbreak for that, which leads to a legally grey area.

You could presumably buy a new head unit but my belief is that they ain't cheap. As I said there are non-Fiat units that will fit in the hole but I'm not sure of how comprehensive the wiring match is to retain the Settings Menu, plus the cost is high. I like the built-in Satnav but not enough to shell out £200 each year for upgraded maps. I have no problem with putting one on top of the dashboard

You could presumably buy a new head unit but my belief is that they ain't cheap. As I said there are non-Fiat units that will fit in the hole but I'm not sure of how comprehensive the wiring match is to retain the Settings Menu, plus the cost is high.

Non-Fiat units are out of question for me. As for the Fiat units, I looked at their prices, the prices looked back at me and I tell you that wasn't a pretty sight. For now I'll stick to my phone navigation.

Back