General Uconnect sat nav problem

Currently reading:
General Uconnect sat nav problem

swebb

The sat navigation in my wife's 500 is misbehaving. Sometimes it's fine but sometimes the cursor is not where you actually are. We could be on any road and it's showing us as being in a field or floating over houses somewhere. The dealers have had a look a couple times and have done a software update and updated the maps. But it's still an intermittent problem.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas to fix?

Not familiar with facelift models but from what your saying ..and it’s had a software update could it not be pointing to the antenna? Like I say I know nothing about uconnect so it’s just a guess
Are there any issues with radio reception? How does the GPS get its data? Is it built into the antenna or is there a separate module?

I've taken a look. There doesn't seem to be anyway of checking a sat connection. I've gone through the settings to see if there is anything, but there isn't anything obvious to help inform you of any connection or a way to highlight if you are disconnected/a problem.

The DAB radio is fine. Its a 500c, which shouldn't give a problem.

Here's a picture to show the problem. On the sat nav, that's not a road - it's a river. You can clearly see we're driving on an established road with nothing showing on the sat nav.

Has anyone else had this?

20220420_140200.jpg

Are you still under any sort of warranty? If not it could get expensive having to visit the dealership.. however it may be your only option as I really don’t have any ideas where else you could go?
Saying that is the dealership the only ones who can do the update on the head unit? Is it not something you could do yourself?

In my personal experience just because they have said it’s done …doesn’t necessarily mean it’s done!! “Some” stealerships get away with murder!
Also has it actually ever worked correctly?

Fixed a bug like that on a friends Mazda 3 a while ago by taking out the SDcard while the Satnav was running. Obviously that wouldn't work on a device without a SDcard. Maybe by disconnecting the battery while Satnav was running might reset it. Worth a try?

gr J

Are you still under any sort of warranty? If not it could get expensive having to visit the dealership.. however it may be your only option as I really don’t have any ideas where else you could go?
Saying that is the dealership the only ones who can do the update on the head unit? Is it not something you could do yourself?

In my personal experience just because they have said it’s done …doesn’t necessarily mean it’s done!! “Some” stealerships get away with murder!
Also has it actually ever worked correctly?
We are yes. The dealers have taken a look a couple times so far but we still have the problem. Ultimately it will go back for another look.

Is it consistent? IE. Does it put you in the field at the same point all the time? Or is it correct one day not the next at the exact same location? If its consistent then it's the mapping?
Inconsistent - sometimes its ok, sometimes you are all over the place. More often than not its incorrect. You could be in a field, on a totally different road...

Fixed a bug like that on a friends Mazda 3 a while ago by taking out the SDcard while the Satnav was running. Obviously that wouldn't work on a device without a SDcard. Maybe by disconnecting the battery while Satnav was running might reset it. Worth a try?

gr J
Something to think about but could there be a risk of doing harm do you think?

If it was my car I’d be marching back in there pronto!
If the warranty covers it I’d have them replace it! Like John said they have had enough time to sort it and it’s just not fit for purpose!!
When you rely on sat nav what’s the point if it simply doesn’t work! Not fit for purpose

The sat navigation in my wife's 500 is misbehaving. Sometimes it's fine but sometimes the cursor is not where you actually are. We could be on any road and it's showing us as being in a field or floating over houses somewhere. The dealers have had a look a couple times and have done a software update and updated the maps. But it's still an intermittent problem.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas to fix?
I have exactly the same problem on a 2017 500c. Also, if I press the back arrow while driving it works for a while, then goes haywire again. I thought it might be an arial fault but then how come it works for a while? I have a 500c so the arial is in the screen. I haven't been to the dealer yet, any suggestions on what I should ask them to do?

An update - the dealer could replicate the problem. The fix - a complete new unit, amplifier and antenna. They could work these off one by one, but if still not working, the car would need to go back and repeat the work but for another part. It's under warranty and so luckily I have no cost to pick up and can get all of it done in one swoop. The eta is the end of July for the new unit and so we'll have to wait until then.

I have exactly the same problem on a 2017 500c. Also, if I press the back arrow while driving it works for a while, then goes haywire again. I thought it might be an arial fault but then how come it works for a while? I have a 500c so the arial is in the screen. I haven't been to the dealer yet, any suggestions on what I should ask them to do?
See my last post. The dealer said there is interference coming from one of the 3 mentioned. It could just be one of the 3 which is the problem or 2 or all 3 of them, but with all 3 being replaced, that should eliminate the problem.

Back