General Uconnect app expired - no replacement?

Currently reading:
General Uconnect app expired - no replacement?

Witzend7

So, i bought a 2016 500 3 weeks ago and was very much looking forward to uconnect.
Today, fiat FINALLY unblocked me and said the app would work for me but followed with.....

'
However, we regret to inform you that the Uconnect Live services for your Fiat 500 have recently expired as they reached the end of their intended duration.

This means that although you will still be able to use your Uconnect radio, the integration with the Uconnect Live smartphone app is no longer available, and the vehicle will not receive any more mobile data.

We must also inform you that it is not possible to renew or extend the duration of the subscription'

WHAT THE........!!!

Has anyone else come across this LUDICROUS situation which basically now means I have nothing but a radio!!!

Any other options for built in sat nav/apps???

Thanks

Yes, I had a similar message a little while ago relating to my 2017 500S. Mine is the unit without phone mirroring or Nav. Although I didn't use the deezer or Twitter apps (former chargeable if you don't already have an account, latter seems fairly pointless in a vehicle), these are no great loss to me. Phone music streaming still works OK, ecodrive also (sadly). The app on my phone which told me where I had been (and eco rating), how the fuel and battery were doing etc was mildly diverting for about a week but overall I have to say it's no great loss. I am though a more mature owner so may not be down with the current generation, tech-wise.....;)

As to why, I vaguely assumed it was something to do with Stellantis standardising around some other product though have no actual evidence for that....

I agree the sudden withdrawal does seem somewhat odd though, and not exactly great customer care given the importance of these things to buyers these days.

Nick

Yes, I had a similar message a little while ago relating to my 2017 500S. Mine is the unit without phone mirroring or Nav. Although I didn't use the deezer or Twitter apps (former chargeable if you don't already have an account, latter seems fairly pointless in a vehicle), these are no great loss to me. Phone music streaming still works OK, ecodrive also (sadly). The app on my phone which told me where I had been (and eco rating), how the fuel and battery were doing etc was mildly diverting for about a week but overall I have to say it's no great loss. I am though a more mature owner so may not be down with the current generation, tech-wise.....;)

As to why, I vaguely assumed it was something to do with Stellantis standardising around some other product though have no actual evidence for that....

I agree the sudden withdrawal does seem somewhat odd though, and not exactly great customer care given the importance of these things to buyers these days.

Nick
Thanks for the reply. We sound very similar - I'm just frustrated that they've not thought about upgrade/replacement services!!! ;)

Just think about all those trendy app controlled appliances in homes, when in a few years they're no longer supported but still work? Guess it's back to actually getting up and pressing a button
Well we're trending back to an equilibrium in the UK circa 1972 (even stagflation is back), so why not? I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my brand new 132 2000TC, anyway....and have the body filler at the ready.

Sign of the times I guess. I have a perfectly working Philips LCD TV but Netflix stopped working because a certificate has expired and Philips deems it unnecessary to update the firmware for 8 year old TV's

I brought a brand new fiat 500 a few weeks ago and it doesn’t include uconnect and when I asked Fiat they said they no longer install it on new cars and you can get mopar connect which you have to pay for and get installed. Hope this helps.
David

I think there's the thought that an "expiry date" should be on new electronics so your new laptop, say, says exp 2026 when support ends, would you spend £500_600 on something that's 'not useable' in 4 years ? Obviously manufacturers are not keen on the idea but would you buy a car to be told the radio won't work after a year or so, sometimes things get too tech for their own good ?

Back