Technical Uconnect 5 replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Uconnect 5 replacement

Kevdo

Hi Folks,

Some of you may remember me from last year where we were having issues with the head unit in the missus' 2014 500L. Since then it has given up the ghost altogether, no longer powers on. I feel rotten for her as the car hasn't had a working audio system for the last 2 years. So I would like to replace this duff unit with a working replacement be it new or used. She wants to keep it OEM, even though there are better android alternatives out there.

I've been looking online and there are a couple of used ones for sale on eBay but they are around £400, which I feel is a bit steep. I would consider it if they were brand new. Does anyone have another source for where these can be bought, hopefully at a more reasonable cost?

Also I had the idea of trying to find a head unit from a different model such as a 500 or Panda (scrap 500L's seem to be hard to find), but I've been informed from and audio repair tech that the connectors are different in these models. Can someone confirm if that's the case right enough?

Have you thought about having it repaired? There are people out there to do it. I paid for a brand new one - it cost a fortune. I still have the dead one. Always assumed it would be something simple, but never got around to testing it.

By the way, when you fit the new unit you will have to have it synced with the body computer. My local Fiat dealer couldn't do it and another branch completed it - though my local dealer is a liability. Syncing is a ten minute job.

If you fit a different unit you will need a unit to interface with the body computer - which will also need to be synced. Which makes even a non original unit expensive.

Repair or 2nd hand are cheapest options.

Back