General UConnect 5 navigation

Currently reading:
General UConnect 5 navigation

JasonSmart364

Hi,

I am hoping someone with a 500L can help me. Does the UCinnect 5 system come with navigation, or can you update it to include navigation, and if so how do you go about doing this?

Jason

There are 2 versions of the UCONNECT5, one with and one without NAV. You cannot upgrade the NAV-less version since it lacks the required hardware.

Would I be able to replace the one without nav with a up net 5 which comes with nav?

I assume that would be possible. Some people apparently even replaced the 5" with a latest-generation 7" unit.
A car that came with the NAV-less UCONNECT does not have a GPS antenna, so you would have to install an aftermarket antenna, and also you would have to check whether the NAV units have a plug for that aftermarket standard GPS antenna.
There is another thread in this forum about the UCONNECT, might well be that the information you need can be found there.

I assume that would be possible. Some people apparently even replaced the 5" with a latest-generation 7" unit.
A car that came with the NAV-less UCONNECT does not have a GPS antenna, so you would have to install an aftermarket antenna, and also you would have to check whether the NAV units have a plug for that aftermarket standard GPS antenna.
There is another thread in this forum about the UCONNECT, might well be that the information you need can be found there.

Everything that Ez2517 has posted is exactly what I would have stated and is correct. :D

If I were you though, I wouldn't buy into any nav model of the uConnect, find an alternative third party radio or just stick your phone/TomTom Go/Garmin Drive/etc. on your windshield and it is much better than that proprietary mess.

The UConnect Navigation models require map purchases and in the case of the 6.5', it is awaiting an update after a couple of years. Here Maps has not provided it and actually want the Dealers to charge them extra as well (n)

Finding an alternative radio which fits for the double din specifications with some interface and frame is a better solution, Android Auto is a really good in-house solution - or even sticking an actual Android OS radio and putting Go Mobile app on it would be better and economical than purchasing speed cameras and map updates from TomTom for the uConnect.

There were even plans to have the maps discontinued on the uConnect by TomTom due to the storage limitations, I believe it has not gone through for now because of obvious $$.

I myself use a GO 6200, it has a data sim included so traffic is worldwide and free worldwide maps and camera updates. Before that, I was using a magnet mount with my Tablet which ran Go Mobile.

If you do go through buying a navigation model of the uConnect, you will need to run a proxy alignment to the body computer for it to be recognized and paired with your car. uConnect live may not work as it requires dealer activation which is paired to the previous car's VIN and I do not believe is free.

Edit: You can actually install modified maps on the 6.5' here https://mega.nz/#F!kURhTCbJ!uJhKPMyGiESbvQSDb33CvQ

You can 'jailbreak/root' the 6.5' as it runs a lua system which the firmware is accessible through the firmware package from updating.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/connected-car/uconnect-6-5-alfa-fiat-root-access-t3828426

The 5' cannot be done as it is a Windows CE Embedded system which the firmware is stored in 'partitions' which are encrypted with an FCA key, modifying these will not flash when the bootloader checks for the file integrity

Last edited:
Back