Ubuntu 10.04

Currently reading:
Ubuntu 10.04

Installed this (10.04 RC) the other day on my laptop as a dual boot along with Windows 7. Have to say its by far the best Linux distro I've tried so far from an asthetics and noob friendly point of view. Only had to add one script (to stop the wifi light constantly blinking), comment out one line in the grub file to fix the Plymouth splash screen with the Nvidia drivers and drop in the Flash plugin manually as I have the 64bit version. Overall though apart from flash the others 2 things are minor and not show stoppers if not fixed by tinkering.

It connected to my Windows 7 file shares with no fuss and had no issues connecting to my wireless network.

Really impressed how everything just worked - even the FN+ functions on the laptop and the IR remote! :)

Won't be switching from Windows just now but would certainly consider it for a basic internet machine or something quick and less complicated for giving to a non tech savvy relative so they could do internet shopping or something.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 33
Very nice. I prefer Mandriva myself but recommend Ubuntu to interested customers. Good to know that the new version is suitably impressive!

Im using it on my Toshiba Satellite Pro, which isn't a power house by any means.

Celeron M, 1GB Ram onboard Intel GFX etc, and it runs really fast. I even got Compiz Fusion (the fancy 3D effects) working with next to no fuss. It's also smooth even on the crappy intel graphics.

I've installed Crossover Linux, which then allowed me to install Office 2007 and my work's CRM package.

They even do a Linux version of Teamviewer :D. So thats my laptop fully on linux with no dependency on Windows :D

iv got the full version on all my laptop and desktop now. personally i think its wipes the socks off windows performance and visually wise, though there are a couple if compatibility problems, eg like connecting to xbox is a pain.
id definately people try the wubi version (y) which is like a virtual os in windows, so you still have windows
http://wubi-installer.org/
i think it could be the future poeple, why pay hundreds for windows, when this matches it in almost every field, and is free :)

oh yeah and games is another pretty major compatibility. they have a programme called wine to get games running but it still needs alot of developing.
im helping them on this, but only by complaining on their forum what games of mine dont work haha.
tbh for gaming i stick to my xbox, though sometimes you cant beat pc (y)

I'm well aware of wine :p. There's a commercial implementation of wine called "crossover linux" which is ALOT better than wine on its own!. I even got Steam installed along with CSS, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 etc but it just wasn't as fast and I couldn't use the chat overlay :(.

Last edited:
XBMC is okay for streaming to xbox.
Although there is a glitchy copy of twonkymedia which when installed the 30 day trial never runs out. ;) just as good as windows media connect.
10.04 on the desktop and 10.04 unr on the netbook. although netbook has become a bit of a battery muncher since dropping xp for unr. :confused:

Last edited:
crossover linux? not heard of that, thats fully compatible with ubuntu? il; try that.
iv heard of xbmc, not tried it, i was trying ushare, but i could never fully programme it (as everyone i asked told me how to do it through the terminal lol) is xbmc just install and go? is it hard to set it up with the xbox?
yeah my battery doesnt last as long now on the laptop :s

Last edited:
It's a piece of **** at the xbox end. The biggest problem is on the computer end where if the file isn't automatically picked up by a scaper you have to manually add to the library or it won't make it available to other players like the xbox.

If you can find the correct version of twonky that's the best way to do it. unfortunately I've lost my one, and haven't had the time to research the interweb for it so can't help there.

I'm using this on my work computer, and I'm really liking it so far. Taking advantage of the multiple workspaces and really like the overall interface.

Back