Technical Tyre Pressure?

Currently reading:
Technical Tyre Pressure?

ronnieronson

Bring On The Trumpets!
Abarth 14"'s running 175/50/14s - any clue on what the recommended tyre pressure should be?

hmmm - currently running all round at about 28.5, off to pump em up a bit at asda (motorway journey tomorrow!).

Cheers guys! :worship:

I usually start at the factory recommended pressures and monitor tyre wear then adjust pressures to match, can take a long time to get the pressures right but seems to work rather well. I've found that different models in a given profile let alone make or profile changes need different pressures to get tyre wear relativity even across the tread.

Last edited:
Also depends....best handling pressure is not the most economical pressure (for fuel or tyre life)

28.5 is a bit low, but I don't trust garage gauges anyway...i ahve a foot pump (keeps you fit) witha gauge, and a seperate, highly rated pressure gauge.

Make, of tyre, alloy specification etc all make a difference

I run 33psi in mine at from 31 in rear. But mine are different to yours obv.

Kristian

I have a digital guage and an analogue one - both seem pretty accurate.

Took the car for a spin between adding more air, and settled on 31 psi in the end, seems to handle well, without exessive bumpiness :p

I have one p6000 and 3 sonar tyres on now - and as crazy as it sounds, I can really feel the difference between the tyres when I'm driving! - gotta get saving for 3 more ;)

Hi, pressures for 175/50/14 in the book are 2.1bar front and 2.0bar rear.
You can tell if tyres are over inflated for any lenghth of time as the tyre will wear in the middle of the tread, as opposed to under inflated where the outer edges wear.
A quick point, if stopped by police or VOSA and your tyre pressures are out of recommended manufactures specs you could get a fine (£60 per tyre and points) so try and stick to what is advised by manufacture or tyre company with written conformation. Wrong pressures can reduce fuel economy by 15%. Cheers Dave(y)

most home guages or pumps you have in the boot of car dont work on bar and the ones at the petrol station certainly dont, rather go on PSI, so some people may not know what the hell you are talking about hence why PSI is mentioned in earlier posts :)

Sorry about only posting the pressures in bar. Pressures in psi are front 30psi, rear 29psi.:eek:

most home guages or pumps you have in the boot of car dont work on bar and the ones at the petrol station certainly dont, rather go on PSI, so some people may not know what the hell you are talking about hence why PSI is mentioned in earlier posts :)

Bar is cool -- and is what we should really be using in Europe. Pounds per Square Inch = PSI is going to mean bugger all to someone from France, Latvia or Poland!

Bar = atmospheric pressure at sea level (IIRC) = 14psi.

Strangely, my local Tesco has psi and bar, while the other local garage has a readout switcheable between the two.

In that case we are working to a budget in yorks because the ones i go to only have psi :eek:

Bar is cool -- and is what we should really be using in Europe. Pounds per Square Inch = PSI is going to mean bugger all to someone from France, Latvia or Poland!

Bar = atmospheric pressure at sea level (IIRC) = 14psi.

Strangely, my local Tesco has psi and bar, while the other local garage has a readout switcheable between the two.

Yup yup, i don't think i ever been to a garage in scotland that doesn't have both bar and psi

Back