General Two tone paint spec on 500x sport

Currently reading:
General Two tone paint spec on 500x sport

Considering buying a 500x, just a question about the black roof option if anyone here knows?
The one that I've seen has a thick black adhesive tape strip on the C pillar joint between colours, it looks rather like thick black duct tape with a texture like black pallet strapping but very glossy, is this normal or is it an indication that the car has been in a crash and refinished? It is the case on these that there is no natural line/joint for the joining of the two colours so it might be right but I just wasn't sure if it is factory or not. The car also has one odd tyre which might also suggest a crash (or possibly just a bad puncture).

So to answer my own question, after quite a lot of looking I managed to find a photo of another one with the tape clearly showing (most photos online aren't high enough resolution). Also the tape is die cut so it's made specifically for the task. The roof is a wrap rather than painted so this covers the edge, what I'm not sure of now is whether it is just a transport cover and should have been removed at PDI or intended to be permanent.

I've seen a few photos online too.. the resolution isn't clear enough as you say but it looks like some cars have the finisher and some possibly don't...

If that's correct then it could be some dealers are removing the finisher and others are not.

I suspect that the photos where I can't see the finisher are just indistinct and it's actually there.. but it'll be interesting to hear from the 2-tone owners...

Luckily I went for the same colour all over. 😅

Ralf S.

Back