twitchy 17's

Currently reading:
twitchy 17's

R

rsmallwo

Hello

Put my 17's on with 205/40/17 tyres

i've noticed that at slower speeds the steering is abit twitchy, the wheels seem to follow the imperfections/holes/bumps on Hull roads more.

Is this due to the fact i have a much bigger foot print now and so it picks up these "imperfections" and with reinforced tyre sidewalls the tyres flex less and so are less forgiving to these imperfections.

I get no "twitchiness" at more speed, 40+mph where the roads are typically better condition.

I have no vibration at 60mph (not had chance to get to 70+ yet) and there is no pull to one side or the other.

Under braking everything remains level and steady, unless i'm on a poor surface road in which it will "twitch" with imperfections (should stop using that word....i mean holes and bumps!)

I do have the correct size spigot rings @ 58.1mm and they are on with wobbly bolts which had each one tightened abit at a time to ensure an even "fit"

I put it down to me been used to 15" on 185/55/15 tyres and now on the low profile ones so your going to get differences like this.

Or....

Is my car about to fall apart?

Thanks

my car

my car is a 1998S 1.8hlx with 76k on the clock

Re: my car

You don't need to tighten the bolts a bit at a time, the centre bore centres the wheel, the bolts just stop it dropping off.

A wider tyre means it has more of a lever action around the steering axis. If you hit an imperfection the force it applies to the steering is larger hence why they tend to tramline.

Also your tracking could be a touch out.

Re: my car

what pressure have you got in the front tyres if they are too hard it will make it twitchey

Im Driven to Earn, and I Earn to Drive......

pressure

pressure is 30psi all round

should be 32psi according to manual, i know what you mean about the tyres been over inflated as on my old 185/55/15 tyres i over inflated them and it felt like i was on ice!!!!, these don't feel like that.

tracking maybe a good point, its been 18mths since i had it done and since i have new wheels it maybe time again.

Also one of the wheels that is on the front of my car has uneven wear down one edge, presuming the tracking was out on the clio they where on before, i suppose this could have an affect, it is over wear on this once side but it aint bald are anything.

Re: pressure

forget the manual you have aftermarket wheels