Technical Twin Cam 2L work w/ stock x1/9 4spd gearbox?

Currently reading:
Technical Twin Cam 2L work w/ stock x1/9 4spd gearbox?

xonenine

I am a new x1/9 owner, well almost, as I had one about 10 years ago. The one I just bought is a 1976 with the 1300 engine. I bought it with the engine locked up as it sat for over 15 years and developed extensive rust in two cylinders. I have just purchased a Lancia Zagato 1981 petrol injection motor and 5 speed gearbox to transplant into the little x. I have read of others putting the combination into the x1/9 but I would like to keep the x1/9 4 speed or possibly the later x1/9 5 speed as it would be simpler as far as the gear shifting mechanism is concerned rather than playing kinematics with changing over the front drive gearbox to a x1/9 shifter rod. Does anyone know if I can use the x1/9 4 speed or 5 speed gearbox with the twin cam 2000cc engine? I know I will be stuck with a less capable gearbox and smaller diameter clutch but I don't intend to race the car, I just want to have fun with it. I have done several engine swaps in the past, big V8's into Jeeps and a Buick V6 into a TR7 so I don't think the twin cam swap will be hard other than if I have to use the Lancia Beta transmission as it requires clearancing the frame rail and I really don't want to hack up the chassis on this x1/9. Thanks for you assistance in advance. Tom

The TC swap is best to be done with the tranny... if you use the stock tranny you will most likely have a tranny eating machine... If I remember correctly the X tranny is only good for about 120 hp... So if you do anything to get the TC running really nice, you will regret not swapping the tranny aswell...

Personally I would have the 1.5 built by either Vick's motorsports here in Texas or Guy Croft in UK... I have spoke with both in great length and they can get almost the same out of the SOHC as you will a DOHC... I was told 140 hp, 11,000 rpm from a 1.5 was not tooo bad and it would be a bolt in... I would also go ahead and swap in the later 5 speed.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply and good info. Is there any detailed info on how I can hook up the linkage for the shifter if I use the Beta 5 speed gearbox? I saw an article on this site but the pictures only show the top half of the linkages and I don't quite get how the bottom part that connects to the X1/9 shifter rod looks like. Thanks, Tom

I will need to look further for the link I had to a page about swapping the trannies, but it was very inventive the way they did it.

Staska, does yours have the 4 spd or 5 spd gearbox? Are you running a built 1300/ 1500 engine or have you converted to a twin cam 2L? Thanks, Tom

xonenine said:
Staska, does yours have the 4 spd or 5 spd gearbox? Are you running a built 1300/ 1500 engine or have you converted to a twin cam 2L? Thanks, Tom

I have 5 speed gearbox.Engine is from Uno turbo with some mods.

Staska
X1/9 turbo
Kaunas
Lithuania
photos.yahoo.com/staskax19

Back