Technical Turbo Woes

Currently reading:
Technical Turbo Woes

i get a puff of black smoke on start up on mine sometimes but it is running rich.hoping to get it on the rollers next month for a set up.
@pete noticed mine seems a bit down on power when it gets over 90 degrees as well,i had put it down to it being overfuelled
@ ghost mines is a bit stinky to,think its due to vapour/fluids getting past the seal on the the throttle body/2nd injector housing

custard boy said:
i get a puff of black smoke on start up on mine sometimes but it is running rich.hoping to get it on the rollers next month for a set up.
@pete noticed mine seems a bit down on power when it gets over 90 degrees as well,i had put it down to it being overfuelled
@ ghost mines is a bit stinky to,think its due to vapour/fluids getting past the seal on the the throttle body/2nd injector housing
Time for a new stat then, maybe? :)

GhostWKD said:
also i did notice today it ran alot smoother on ploptimax than on the bp stuff, esso seems marginally better but cant touch ploptimax, looks like i'll need to find the nearest shell garage (going to be quite a trek unfortunately :cry: )
Cheers,
Alex

It'll be back to swindon with you for shell fuel buddy! lol :D still.... it shouldn't take you that long to get there :rolleyes:

Even lil Enzo ran like poop on BP fuel :cry: i won't use it again unless absolutely desperate.

rallycinq said:
General rules of smoke, although not always the case

White smoke = water

Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = overfuelling

Cheers

D

Hi,
One amendment to the Oil bit:

Blue smoke = Oil burning in combustion chamber

White smoke = Oil burning after combustion chamber (in hot manifold or turbo)

White Steam = Water

Thanks
Paul T

brickfoot said:
Alex, the turbo woes with the white smoke on idle,

The turbo should be fine, afaik, it's not water-cooled so the white smoke should just be condensation unless it lingers in the air for a while like oil smoke does, in which case you might have a cyliner not firing properly (which might explain the low idle).

Try plugs and leads, also try cleaning the ICV too just incase. If you change the plugs, try the Champion EON1's , i beleive pete uses these on the black 'un as they're a grade colder than the recommended ones.

Hope that helps, or please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Got EON1's sitting in the cinq ready to be fitted, just waiting on my magnecor leads which i got a email today confirming have been sent (y)

i think i'll take advice as suggested in another thread... sort problems with known solutions before looking into solutions for possible problems (y)

Cheers all for the response (y)

Back