Technical turbo conversion

Currently reading:
Technical turbo conversion

stripey stilo

hi havnt bin in here before ive got a 1.4 stilo sporting and was just wunderin if it was posible to use the exhaust manifold, turbo and nessicary parts off a punto 1.4 turbo to convert mine into a turbo. ^
| cant spell this word:cry:

doubt it, I think you'll find the block is v. similar but the head on the stilo will be a 12 or 16v unit, and totally different bolt holes and placement, not to mention port size.

There is no point going for a custom turbo conversion either, maybe a van arken but even then, you are wasting your money (£2-3k really) on something that could still not keep up with a rag'd totally std 2.4abarth.

The 1.4 FIRE lends itself for forced induction.

Bofore you think of turbo charging, what about super charging?

Mini chargers are widely available for considerably little money and you do not need to invest into exhaust modification. But you should invest into a proper ECU modification.

On the other hand there is a lot of normally aspirated tuning power potential.

i dont wanit to be faster than an abarth just faster than it is

to oldschool tell me more is there any info on charger.

20valvers more work than i wana do

16v heads aren't the be all and end all of engines.

Some 8v'ers are way easier to modify than 16vers, and so on the whole you see more mod'd 8vers.

anyway, a transplant would be seriously easier than turbocharging (you really need a mapable ecu etc, and some other mods to make it worth while).

Van Arken make bolt on turbo kits, they used to make em for 1.1 cinq's I belive. You basically buy the whole kit, send your ecu in on trade for one thats been remapped and fit it all together in your own garage! Cost a bit though, but usually less than a custom one, obviously not going to be as powerful but hey.

Damn good engine transplant for you would be the bravo HGT plant, can be had inc gearbox (you need it, as well as its integrated diff and driveshafts, suspension arms, shockers, disc brakes and calipers, and uprights, whole lot can be had from a scrappy for maximum £500, thats a damn site less than £3 for a turbo that might get you to 110bhp?, HGT is 155bhp, and its name won't push your insurance sky high,**

**insurance co's are thick, i.e. citroen ax GT, and Forte are the same car, just one has GT alloys and three GT badges, both kick 74bhp from the same engine and suspension interior etc, GT is group 14-15, Forte is Group 4-5.:D

Oldschool said:
The 1.4 FIRE lends itself for forced induction.

Bofore you think of turbo charging, what about super charging?

Mini chargers are widely available for considerably little money and you do not need to invest into exhaust modification. But you should invest into a proper ECU modification.

On the other hand there is a lot of normally aspirated tuning power potential.
Nitrous oxide injection kit maybe? Mind you I do love superchargers they make engines so flexible apart from smooth power from low revs not the ultimate power of a turbo but I know which I prefer.:D

Back