Technical TTowing - 12N/ S wiring. Marea 2.4 diesel TD125 HLX Weekend 1998.

Currently reading:
Technical TTowing - 12N/ S wiring. Marea 2.4 diesel TD125 HLX Weekend 1998.

Malc

Just fitted a TowTrust towing-bar to car this afternoon.

Now for the fun bit - the wiring. I've been through the wiring diagram for the colour codes with the idea of using scotch-locks as provided.

A friend called earlier and suggested that there should be a manufacturer's socket for connecting trailer wiring 12N & S. Not having to use scotch-locks for connectivity these days. Anyone know of such a facilitiy?

Whilst I'm on anyone got any tips for this job? I'm assuming the necessary conductors are in the near-side wiring loom if scotch-locks is the way.

Thank
Malcolm

I didn't find any connectors when I fitted the 105JTDs towbar. I just took a 2 core across to the left hand lights for indicator and left brake lght. Buzzer and relay if used would go behind the right hand lining taking indicator, brake light, rear light and fog light.

For the record I just scotchlocked it. Had no issues.

Thanks for that. So from saying you just tok a 2 core over to left hand side, then the main loom is on the right?

Wanting to put a 12S socket on as well, is there a suitable live supply at rear of car for the Smartcom to determine the pd for split charge rely operation and permanent feed? Of course I'll be running a fuse supply from battery for Aux switching.

Ummmm I just scotch locked the thing and it worked :D

I'm pretty sure it was the left I took 2 cores to - it's the side with the reverse light on. I only had a single socket for towling trailers, and to prevent it falling into the hands of caravan users :p

I've seen a thread recently with a caravan owner on the defensive. I've a trailer tent and want the second socket for split-charge for aux battery charging. Surely this aint viewed as a caravan!

I've seen a thread recently with a caravan owner on the defensive. I've a trailer tent and want the second socket for split-charge for aux battery charging. Surely this aint viewed as a caravan!

Ooooh its the thin edge my friend. :)

Sorry I can't really help more with regards to the electrics. As I say I only had a single socket on mine, and that was some time ago now.

:eek: dont use those piece of crap scotchloks - spending a bit of time with proper crimp connectors or soldering will save you tons of frustration later on..

Owen.

'proper crimp connectors'
I have not come across any other than scotch-lock, possibly cos I've never looked. Have you a manufacturer's name for these superior connectors please? Will my local motor factors stock such?

Malc

I'd use these if I had the time..

jh89.jpg

and

l26ay.jpg

and

jh81.jpg

All available from here >> http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=12326&MenuName=Crimp%20Terminals&worldid=-2&FromMenu=y&doy=1m10

OK Thanks for that. I was thinking of crimp as another 'insulation displacement connector' similar principle to scotch-lock. Scoth-lock has been knocked for so long, you think their development guys would have created somthing more reliable.

I've got towbar fitted and am on with wiring. With this kit is a 2 way bypass relay for stop tail for bulb failsafe system i.e. not connecting trailer ccts directly to car stop tail. The only problem with this is getting a fused live for relay to switch from battery through bulk head. Is there a known way through?

Question for Hellcat or anyone else having fitted tow lighting: -
Did you connect your trailer wiring directly to car brake and tail lighting ccts? If so was this OK with bulb fail detection?

Can't you get a 12v from somewhere else? cigarette lighter socket perhaps?

Mine was fine with bulb fail detection i.e. I didn't get any warnings however a faulty wire in the trailer board popped my service fuse and took the airbag ECU with it :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I'm concernd about. I've thought about cigarette lighter supply. I don't want to upset anything like Airbag ECU. There is so much sound proofing on both sides of bulk head, I've never had a problem on previous vehicles finding a way through. Thinking cap on.

Thanks

Hello Malc i'll try my best to help with the wiring....

i had a bar fitted to my grande punto not a merea but the logics the same...
i had a 7 way bypass relay that way it saves the cars wiring completely from any problems arising from a dicky trailer electrics (my folks have a New to all intents Pennine Stirling and the front marker lamps have 2 uninsulated space contacts which are in the gas locker one water bottle pushed against them took all the road lights on their Ford Focus as it blew the light switch control fuse according to mr RAC :bang: the last thing you want as your about to leave site now since been heat shrunk to insulate them..)

look at my guide (im not sure the wires will be the same colour on yours)

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pu...ng-towbar-12-n-socket-7-way-bypass-relay.html

its worth checking the wiring on the 12S side as they changed that recently on new "vans" and the reversing lamp is wired into the 12s

Dont use the fag lighter as its switched with the cars ignition so you would need to leave the keys in to keep the road lights(Well it is on my GP)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Andy. I realise the cig lighter issue. I am going away Monday morning and am working the weekend. It's not the best but it'll have to do until I can find a way through te bulk head

Back