Technical Trying to connect MultiECUscan to steering ECU

Currently reading:
Technical Trying to connect MultiECUscan to steering ECU

I'm trying to use the MultiECUscan software to the steering ECU of a Mk 2 Punto.

I'm using a USB connector, with three adaptors, red, green, yellow.

Although I can connect perfectly well to the engine ECU using the green adaptor, I cannot establish a connection to the steering ECU. I get a message saying:

You need ELM327/ODBKey Interface to connect to this module!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but I thought that the same green adaptor should work for the engine and steering modules.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm trying to use the MultiECUscan software to the steering ECU of a Mk 2 Punto.

I'm using a USB connector, with three adaptors, red, green, yellow.

Although I can connect perfectly well to the engine ECU using the green adaptor, I cannot establish a connection to the steering ECU. I get a message saying:
You need ELM327/ODBKey Interface to connect to this module!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but I thought that the same green adaptor should work for the engine and steering modules.

Thanks for any advice.

What USB interface are you using? It sounds like you have a KKL / Vagcom type. These will do basic codes but do not support CAN. Additionally many of the ELM 327 interfaces from the far east have a design error (120 ohm terminating resistor) which will allow connection to some modules but not others (depends on things like wiring length in car and number of nodes on bus).
Robert G8RPI.

What USB interface are you using? It sounds like you have a KKL / Vagcom type. These will do basic codes but do not support CAN. Additionally many of the ELM 327 interfaces from the far east have a design error (120 ohm terminating resistor) which will allow connection to some modules but not others (depends on things like wiring length in car and number of nodes on bus).
Robert G8RPI.

^^this.

Its telling you that you have the wrong cable - MES also uses a series of coloured adapters to connect to certain modules.

You can find your car on the list on the website here and refer to the key at the top right to see what you need for each bit https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

But in this case its telling you that you need an ELM327 cable and the green adapter, can but them all separately, just stick it in ebay ;)
Then

Have you got the free or the registered version? Free would not to talk to steering or bags on ours. I got a cheap ELM327 but had to remove a resistor as Robert mentioned. No coloured adaptors needed.
http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493

Information in that MES thread is not quite right. You should not have ANY terminating resistor(s) in a CAN OBDII interface.
Connecting two 100 ohm resistors an a capacitor to ground is totally wrong. (There is a case for a 120 ohm resistor and 0.1uF capacitor across the bus, but not ina a OBDII interface).

Still waiting for EvilDMP to come back with details of the interface he is using. IMy money is on it being a KKL / VagCom.

Robert G8RPI.

Information in that MES thread is not quite right. You should not have ANY terminating resistor(s) in a CAN OBDII interface.
Connecting two 100 ohm resistors an a capacitor to ground is totally wrong. (There is a case for a 120 ohm resistor and 0.1uF capacitor across the bus, but not ina a OBDII interface).

Still waiting for EvilDMP to come back with details of the interface he is using. IMy money is on it being a KKL / VagCom.

Robert G8RPI.

Yeah. I didn't bother with any of the extra bit's. Just pulled the resistor.
he does have a note on there saying just that but it's in a different colour. Is it possible it's not visible on some setups ?

Back