General Trying a 100hp for size

Currently reading:
General Trying a 100hp for size

Lippy

Hey All,

First post on here, recommended from Pistonheads...

I'm considering swapping my barge (3.0 omega) for a panda 100hp. I've been tempted by low running costs, cheap insurance and fun handling. I only commute 20 miles per day, however it will be our "main" car, which with the size of the Panda is my only concern.

Managed to have a seat in one this weekend, wasn't able to take it for a drive, which I'll do this week.

First thoughts, it has quite a tardis like quality with its low roof line, however, once inside their is a reasonable amount of room. I'm 6-2 and quite stocky, the only problem I had was the door closing on my right knee and the centre console encroaching on the left. I'm not sure whether this would be solved by altering my driving position, but it was comfy - just a bit different.

The quality of the materials inside where a little surprising, the door handle and door bins were a little flimsy at odds with the nice feel of the main dash switches. Its quite dark inside, although much better with the sun roof option, however that resulted the headroom being reduced, I'd leave it personally.

The rear seats are comfortable, however with me driving, the car would be a 3 seater, as with the seat all the way back the rear was totally unusable. Not something I was surprised about, and is true of all small cars. Boot space was adequate, minimal rear overhang but shopping etc would easily fit, think I would have to drop the seats for my golf clubs to fit (sorry!).

All in all I was quite impressed, but I don't know the compromise on space would lead me to resent the car in a few months. I going to drive it later this week and see how I feel. Anyone of a similar size care to comment...?

Also, anyone had any experience with getting a dealer price match from Fiat Supa Saver? I would need to get the car on finance, which they don't do, so would by buying through a main dealer.

Cheers (y)

Lippy

Hi Lippy,

I am 6ft 2 also and I found the dash hitting my left knee a problem initially but after a while I just noticed that my leg moved naturally to avoid it.
I would say that the Panda is too small for people with kids/constantly carrying passengers but for 1/2 people as an everyday car I honestly think that the fun, ease of driving and character of the little 100hp will easily outweigh the inconvenience of putting the seats down for golf clubs, for example.
Go for a drive and see if you're still interested afterwards would be my advice (y)

i too am 6ft2 and er.....stocky....yes stocky is the word.....i use the panda when i can wrestle the keys of the mrs, having always had small cars, the knee thing wasnt an issue, as you said slight change in driving position, aided by the range of seat movement solved it. generally the only time the car is full is when teh mrs picks me and a few friends up after a night out, she owes me a few designated driver duties, and considering they are all biger than me, the 1.2 ele does a mansized job getting us home.

I had one for a year, and Im 6 2" as well, I know what you mean about the left knee but it really isnt a problem, and go for the sunroof, you really dont lose hardly any headromm and it does lift the interior which on the 100hp is very dark and gloomy. There is only my wife and the two of us found it ideal, including trips abroad like Poland with all our luggage. Had a 1.2, only reason for selling was financial, at the time, wish I still had one... but... not another 1.2!

Also, anyone had any experience with getting a dealer price match from Fiat Supa Saver? I would need to get the car on finance, which they don't do, so would by buying through a main dealer.

Cheers (y)

Lippy

Getting a personal loan may be cheaper than finance - the dealer may discount to match t'interweb, but they will increase the apr of the loan to compensate... they'll flat refuse to discount the list price if you go for the 0% deal.

If you can wait until January, Arnold Clark have huge discounts in their "Real Sale" - I paid £6995 for a Sporting 2 years ago, which had a list price of £8995. Even after arranging a personal loan at 6.7%, it was cheaper than paying £8995 at 0%.

Hi Lippy,

I will be very interested to read your findings on the Panda. Like you I also own a 3.0 Omega mines the estate version. I am also considering going for the 100hp because they sound great fun to drive and I like the looks of them. I dont need the size of the Omega anymore, it is normally only me in the car these days.

Only thing that is putting me off is it is a manual, (I love Auto's) but the small size and running costs really appeal.

Please update your post when you have taken one for a spin!

Cheers.

If you have the rear sliding seat option fitted then even with the drivers seat slid well back you can still have legroom behind. This is because the sliding seat when slid fully back actually makes the boot smaller than the fixed seat version would be & it has a smaller flipup shelf for this reason. In effect it can be a full 4 seater with minimal bootspace or 2 seater with bigger boot or of course somewhere inbetween is suitable for kids in the back :D

Edit: just noticed the 100hp doesn't have the sliding seat option(n)

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies, will try and drive one at the weekend, just need to get the maths to work out for finance/personal loan.

Lippy

If you have the rear sliding seat option fitted then even with the drivers seat slid well back you can still have legroom behind. This is because the sliding seat when slid fully back actually makes the boot smaller than the fixed seat version would be & it has a smaller flipup shelf for this reason. In effect it can be a full 4 seater with minimal bootspace or 2 seater with bigger boot or of course somewhere inbetween is suitable for kids in the back :D

Edit: just noticed the 100hp doesn't have the sliding seat option(n)

Thats a pain.. I want the sliding rear seat option to make it as flexible as poss... must be the seat trim level that prevents it...:(

I'm 6ft 5 and fit in the Panda fine. I came from an Audi A6 to the Panda and yes, the driving position is different, but strangely still comfy. Only downside for the daily grind IMO is a slightly bumpy back end (the car not me).

OK dokey, wasn't able to test drive one this weekend :(

However, just so I have an idea, what kind of deal should I expect when purchasing the car on finance? What level of discount from the OTR price? In order to make this really worth my while, I would like to take advantage of the free insurance offer (www.fiat.co.uk) however I don't want to end up paying for it by stealth, if you know what I mean.

Any thoughts experience would be great, as I've mentioned before I'm trying to consolidate some costs by downsizing.

Cheers guys

....However, just so I have an idea, what kind of deal should I expect when purchasing the car on finance? What level of discount from the OTR price?....Cheers guys

Just picked my EG 100hp up on Saturday....Paid £8555 with the metallic paint...

That's brand new (not pre-reg'd) but I paid for it there and then....I'm pretty sure that the price was the same if you went for finance.

Daz

If a dealer wants more than £8500 go somewhere else,plenty around at that price and below.Some dealers still have them up for full list price,no chance of shifting them I wouldn't of thought:confused:

Back