Travel Insurance question

Currently reading:
Travel Insurance question

Is it worth buying travel insurance if you're travelling in the EU?
Some people say you need it, including the NHS, and some people say don't bother because the European Health Insurance Card covers you for the same treatment any citizen of the country you're travelling in would get.

belts and braces, i have my card, E111? for health cover, and travel ins as back up for that, and all possessions etc

edit: for a fiver a month worldwide to cover me and mrs jai, and any family member who travels with us cant really complain about the cover

Last edited:
As a diabetic its quite important to get insurance rather than rely on the card which i also have

if you have a chronic disease like me it may be worth getting it, but it hardly costs a lot anyway

As I understand it, the health card (which replaced E111) just gives you the basics.
If you're seriously ill / injured and need to be repatriated, then you need travel insurance to cover transport etc.

Checked MSE...£8.25 for a single trip for a family of 6. At that price I'd be silly not to take out the cover.

Be careful, don't just go by price, that price is very good at first sight. Check what they cover but, perhaps more importantly what they don't cover. Example, some companies will cover you to ride a scooter while on holiday, some will not cover you and if you injure yourself, god forbid, you're not covered.
I always have travel insurance, even if its just a day trip to Calais.

Defo get insurance. Last year we went to France, my daughter fell out of a top bunk bed and knocked herself out. Paramedics came and she spent a night in hospital. We only had an E111 so I thought we were covered, we were covered 90% (differenct EU states have different agreements with the UK regarding cover) but still had to pay £110 for stuff the E111 did not cover. Fortunately that was a good lesson to learn as it was only £110, but for the sake of £10-£30 if the incident was worse who knows what it would have cost.

We learned our lesson from it and will always get insurance now even for just a couple of days like the trip to France was.

If you want a basic try travelsupermarket.com
I got my sister one for £4 for 5 days to spain.
My parents for £10 to Dubai for 11 days
And i went to the far east last year for over 3 weeks and it cost me £9...
All fun and games!
Do not go without it...

you dont need it unless you are going to have a medial problem, so predict the future before you go then you'll know what to expect. if you cant predict the future then you'll need to get insurance or take a risk. the risk is far greater than the cost of insurance, so you will need to have parts of your brain missing to take that risk.

Indeed,
You need to weigh up the risks. If you go skiing and need to be airlifted off the mountain, they'll charge you for it. How much do you reckon that'd cost? (It's a long way into 4 figure sums). If winter sports travel insurance only costs £40, you only need to break your leg once every hundred or so trips to get your money's worth! :p

Back