Technical Transmission oil leaks from clutch busket

Currently reading:
Technical Transmission oil leaks from clutch busket

unfacedman

Hello everyone.
Bought an old Panda with some crunching and high-pitched noise from the gearbox, especially on the lower gears. So I tried to drain the oil, and it came out only a half of a liter or less.
After filling new oil in proper amount, the noises have gone, but a new miserable has begun - the oil leaks from the clutch area. From between the box and the engine and from the little "window" on the top of clutch busket - all the area is messy.
So i guess it's a box-out job, but before i detach it - can someone advice me what could possibly got broken?

Here are some pics:
20220715_155819.jpg
20220715_155825.jpg
20220715_160104.jpg

The original oil probably leaked from the gearbox oil seal and thats why it only had 1/2 litre in it hence the noise.

So yes gearbox out and an oil seal. Possibly a new clutch friction plate but lots of brake cleaner none the less.

Tim

Input bearing has almost certainly gone

Hopefully it will just be the bearing and seal. Fairly easy job

If you are unlucky it’s possible for a ball bearing to escape and smash through the bell housing in which case a secondhand gearbox will be required

Can only really tell after the gearbox has been removed unfortunately

Clutch will also be contaminated. Although it’s probably still functioning okay. I changed mine at the same time as it was just over £40

Does the oil leaking from the bottom of the clutch bell-housing (or basket) smell? Gearbox oil has a strong smell.

My clutch bell-housing was leaking, not as much as yours, and the oil did not smell - but, mine was also oily inside that inspection window which did smell of transmission oil.

My clutch was contaminated with oil from both sides, engine and gearbox. And it was slipping, probably due to the engine oil.

I replaced:
Clutch kit
Crankshaft main rear seal Fiat part number 7724665
Input shaft seal Fiat part number 40004670 (access is from inside the gearbox, so it has to come apart)
Input shaft bearing (I used SKF Explorer 6204 C3 bearing)

If you're taking the gearbox off, it's worth changing the two driveshaft seals at the same time. I didn't but I wish I had. Much easier with the gearbox off.

I'm surprised it will even drive. A teaspoon of oil on the clutch will cause it to slip. Mine began slipping suddenly - so much that I struggled to get home. The following day, (cooled down) it was near normal - slipping only when really provoked. When opened up, the clutch area smelled of gear oil but it was not messy.
You probably have engine oil leaking from the rear main seal - that gets thrown off the flywheel so a much bigger leak does not get to the clutch.
A gearbox input seal throws oil into the clutch centre, where it ruins the clutch with almost no evidence.
The gear shift seal can tip oil out like its going out of fashion. Mine was really messy before I found the cause.
Output shaft seals usually drip on the floor with oil mess going back to the car underbody.

My money is on the engine seal, shifter seal and the input seal coming out in sympathy. Change the lot and check the bearings. Prepare to fit a reconditioned or replacement gearbox. It's been run very low making noises and may well be toast.

Simply is not case in reality
The internet experts post this regularly

All the oil can leave the gearbox

Here’s mine with a big hole in the bell housing where a ball bearing escaped

The input shaft support and seal is worn away. Take a look at the bottom right of the photo for just how much oil has been lost
A784CAEF-8F88-479E-886F-8833F9981B12.jpeg

Clutch is absolutely covered in gear oil. Just posted some pictures of the flywheel being scraped clean a few weeks ago

Absolutely no slipping from the clutch which gear oil Or judder. I can’t comment on engine oil

Well, as I've mentioned in another thread here, I took the box off, opened it and indeed, the input shaft's bearing was totally messed and there was already no seal at all, only it's slightest remains. So I replaced them both with new ones but... it still leaks oil. Not as much as before, but noticeable.
It turns out that the strong input shaft's vibrations during it's bearingless lifetime had deformed the crater in the bell-housing when the seal should be pressed in, and now it just seats there quite loosly.
So, as the last chance before replacing the whole gearbox, I plain to open it again and somehow glue the seal up with some kind of a good loctite.
Can anyone advise me any particular loctite number which can, maybe, be the best kind for such a purpose?

Sorry to hear about your gearbox

I would use some RTV. Whatever you use make sure it’s okay with gearbox oil. Some gasket sealants are fine with engine oil and petrol but will not stand gearbox oil

You might be able to buy a scrap gearbox cheap and swap the bellhousing.

This is the stuff to use on loose bearings. But it's probably not enough if the seized bearing was rattling around.

A local machine shop might be able to repair the old bell-housing, but a replacement gearbox makes more sense. There is likely to be internal damage caused by the old bearing falling apart.

This is £300 but you'll need to add the costs of new seals, new input bearing and a puller to remove the old one.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back