General Track Lemon - 1.4 Cinq track toy

Currently reading:
General Track Lemon - 1.4 Cinq track toy

jnoiles

Um......
I've posted this on some other forums and completely forgot to put it here. Oops.

Originally this was to be a Panda project but Oldschool convinced me that what I really needed was a stripped out Cinq because they're lighter. And he had three. Or four. Or twelve. It's hard to know the exact figure at any given moment. His Cinq shell habit is more out of control than my Toyo R888 habit.

Anyway, the argument for Cinq was compelling for a few reasons. One, it was already stripped almost bare and two it was on the back of a transporter on its way to my house as we were speaking. So you know, it seemed a decent plan.

Anyway, a few hours ago The Man with The Van arrived on my doorstep with a cage. A cage which had previously arrived at my place of work from OMP in Italy. It sat at reception, annoying the front desk staff for a week while I tried to figure out how to get it in the back of a lounge spec 500. Ultimately work rang and told me that I had to remove it or they'd find a way to insert it in me. So, I bit the bullet and found a man with a van. Who was vastly more efficient than me, the man with a vague plan.

487365592_uxtGb-M.jpg

It didn't actually arrive that way. It arrived taped together with a ferocity I've never seen before. If I could find the guy who taped this thing together I could get him to tape the thing into the car and I wouldn't need a welder. It took me the better part of an hour to unpack it.

The plan is for the cage to be welded into Track Lemon next week. Which brings me neatly on to Track Lemon herself:

487365049_wWNbx-M.jpg

I know, she's hot, you can drool. :D

Once back from welding Track Lemon will have a shiny new engine

487365396_5s9UW-M.jpg

and gearbox

487365495_oTzXP-M.jpg

installed. Mmm shiny new engine. I got the engine and gearbox with 74 miles on them from a guy who works for a powertrain development company. They buy Fiat's for development mules and have no need for the engines/gearboxes.

It's a 1.4 Fiat starjet from a Grande Punto. Out of the box I think it has something like 95-100 hp and 90-95 lb/ft of torque in standard spec. I want to pull it to bits and go for some serious mods but for now we'll get her running with the standard engine (but everyone should feel free to convince Oldschool that supercharging it would be a good plan).

Even with standard power, in such a lightweight beast it should still be plenty of fun. I have a similar engine in my Fiat 500 with twice the weight and that's lively enough on the track.

I also have a set of Eibach springs, a powerflex ploybush kit and an OMP suede steering wheel for her as well. They're at work at the moment so no pics handy but I'll be bringing them home soon. I'm also putting the Quaife ATB from the group buy thread into the mix. Mmm traction.

I haven't really thought about exhaust yet. I imagine that'll be a case of trailer it around to Torque Exhausts or similar and say 'go nuts as long as its under 95db so I can take it on any track'. Plumbing and assorted other bits are in the process of being discussed now. GSR induction kit of course. Oldschool has a lightweight kevlar seat to tip into the mix as well.

Questions, comments, rude remarks all welcome :)

so thats the engine we where talkin about. ummmm shiney! gonna megasquirt the beast?

Indeed it is. I'd like to go megasquirt or emerald at some point, for no other reason than it appeals to the geek in me. But that's a bit longer term, after we've had a play with it and seen what it can do in standard-ish form. Besides I have a huuuuge learning curve ahead of me for even the most basic stuff. :D

You may find going to stand-alone ECU from the start will be the easier solution.

As standard the car has fly-by-wire and vari inlet manifold and cam timing so you'd be better taking back all the loom and seeing what you need to run it without these.

Jon has taken back our GP star-jet loom and there is loads that can go, amazing how different it is from the Stilo 1.4 16V we sued in the Sei.

Plus the 1.1 8V Cinq ECU is pretty old and not really even a half decent solution to running it, you could if saving some money start witha 1.1 MPi Sei ECU but better still a 1.2 16V putno ECU from pre fly-by-wire period.

Looks like a good project :) I'll keep an eye on it :D

Kristian

At the very least it'll be entertaining and give me an excuse to play with oily messy stuff and learn a bit about cars.

I'll try to keep the pics coming along as progress is made :)

Should have got the Sparco cage:p
How much does the seat weigh?? i have a Corba Technology seat but it weights more than the magnum seats i have, Still using the technology seat tho as its miles comfier and looks soo much better

Looks like a good project,exhaust wise, im making a titanium one:p also im seriously thinking about turboing it aswell:devil:

If its a pure track car, then surely it should be on coil overs all round, you know it makes sence(y)

Should have got the Sparco cage:p
How much does the seat weigh?? i have a Corba Technology seat but it weights more than the magnum seats i have, Still using the technology seat tho as its miles comfier and looks soo much better

Looks like a good project,exhaust wise, im making a titanium one:p also im seriously thinking about turboing it aswell:devil:

If its a pure track car, then surely it should be on coil overs all round, you know it makes sence(y)

Why the Sparco cage over OMP? From what I've read and seen the Sparco is more expensive and doesn't have as many attachment points? Although it might be a bit lighter than the OMP ;)

The seat is 6 kilos. I keep lusting over lightweight seats but I can't justify the huuuuuge money they're worth.

Coilovers sound fun but lots more to fiddle with before I get to the chopping up the back and welding bits in. I wanna play with it on a track at some point this year :D

Ive got both cages, same amount of mounting points, sparco cage has two rear diagonals over the one on the omp, and bars between the mid and rear legs, it also looks alot easier to install the sparco cage, and it runs alot closer to the shell of the car

Interesting. What's the weight on the Sparco cage? I might get some additional bracing put in when the welding starts.

This morning I opened the garage and it was grubby. So grubby:

495917508_bMsGi-M.jpg

495917583_Es6yR-M.jpg

So I got to work cleaning up the beast.

Step 1:

Push it out of the garage:

495917432_3uzbo-M.jpg

Step 2:

Assess the mess:

495917352_i3cgp-M.jpg

495917154_r66mA-M.jpg

Step 3:

Take the wiring out without cutting any wirest:

495916683_fuAeR-M.jpg

Step 4:

Remove the seat:

495916250_k4WgV-M.jpg

Step 5:

Clean up the sound deadening muck with brake cleaner. Wooo, stinky:

495916353_ddwpe-M.jpg

Step 6:

Trial fit the roll cage and be amazed how well it fit:

495916595_3iggJ-M.jpg

Step 7:

Put Oldschool to work washing the beast:

495914896_yv4ck-M.jpg

Step 8:

Lock Oldschool in the engine bay:

495914459_7PDrT-M.jpg

MWUHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I had a solid mornings work cleaning out the beast, taking out the wiring and lights and connectors and fasteners. Then a mate arrived and we changed the 500 back to its road wheels and and put a set of R888's on my girlfriends MX5 and went for a thrash :)

Oldschool arrived later and the stripping of weight continued. He washed the beast as well which was nice.

I haven't taken the pictures of the wings yet but we got one wing and both doors off before it got too late to continue. My garage has no power so we called it a night and went for Chinese.

Last edited:
Back