Torque...explain :)

Currently reading:
Torque...explain :)

M

Mike

can someone or ppl please explain Torque in an easy way for me lol Im not daft/stupid just takes me a while to understand things..

cheers :)

Explain

The way i see it, its a measurement of your cars actual useable force, its the torque that pins you back in your seat in a fast car. Correct me if theres an easier way to describe it?

Torque is how much force there is to rotate an object around a pivot. In the case of cars the pivot would be the drive shafts.

In everyday terms lets use an example of a door. The pivot point would be the hinges and if you push the door on the edge away from the hinge it is easier to push than if you pushed where the hinges are. The torque you provided pushing the door is smaller when you push it near the hinges, meaning more is required to open the door.

If a car has a lot of torque it can turn the wheels easier (there are other variables such as the weight of the car) but generally speaking more torque = easier to turn the wheels = faster acceleration.

I didn't :p studied torque when I did biomechanics at Uni :) It's the same on a human as it is on a car...force around a pivot :)

Ah ok,fair do's lol
Thanks for sharing and clearing it up :)

As a wag on the Proton Owner's forum wrote -

Oversteer = hitting the fence on the tight corner with the REAR of the car.

Understeer = hitting the fence on the tight corner with the FRONT of the car.

Horsepower = how FAST you hit the fence.

Torque = how FAR you take the fence after you've hit it.

Hope that makes it all plain... :)

Lol ive heard that exact before on a vw forum i was on :)