TomTom Screen? Is It Possible To ...

Currently reading:
TomTom Screen? Is It Possible To ...

Also posted in 'ICE' as its relevent to both topics.

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows of this being done or if it is even possible. It is possible to use a Tomtom, or any SatNav screen for anything other than the SatNav (i.e. play dvds etc).

I have a TomTom which is broken, dropped with power lead in and the socket inside which snapped off - after many attempts to fix it was useless and it will no longer charge. So, any ideas what I could use the screen for would be belting.

Cheers guys.

P.S. Im one of those people who hates throwing things away, and a perfectly good LCD screen like that is one of those things.

Yes the screen should be salvageable but you need to know your stuff with electronics as you would need to cut it out of the tomtom and re-solder the screen inputs to a new video source (i.e an S-video input or VGA) this means finding a wiring diagram for the screen (might be possible once you remove it from tomtom as it should have a manufacturer and serial number on).

Apart from that I can't really help you.:(

The screen won't accept a traditional video input as it needs a driver card, the Tom Tom driver is on the main PCB. You also need to drive the backlights and have a power supply.

It's not worth the hassle as you can buy screens the same size as a Tom Tom for next to nothing.

Back