Told you so.

Currently reading:
Told you so.

The Beard

Prominent member
Some time ago on a thread (one of many) concerning speeding or bad driving. In it, I suggested that if people didn't start to behave themselves, the technology existed to take over control of cars as they approached lower speed limits. I also suggested that having attained that level of control, it was a relatively small step to controlling your speed completely.

So.......................

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/drive-smart/article/587/

Er, no. The chances of this being voluntary is pretty remote.

Remember we are dealing with a Government that bans smoking in public places. All well and good. As a smoker I'll have that. But the fine for smoking in a taxi is £50. The fine for the driver for not stopping 5 big burly drunken blokes smoking in his cab? That'll be £2,500. A two and a half grand fine? Or possibly get the crap beaten out of you by five blokes.

At the same time, anticipating the loss of duty from smokers quitting, Uncle Gordon and his team allowed Pubs and Clubs to extend their opening hours which inevitably means more people will be drinking more booze. This means more disorder and more health problems. To counter that, the Government ran their "Drink Aware" campaign. What happens if the revenues from drink don't fill the gap left by taxes?

Well there's always gambling. Ever noticed how many ads there are on the Telly nowadays for on-line gambling?

tbh if we have to have these you will get people buying older cars which dont have a system like this fitted or they will be buying cars and ripping it out be it through remapping etc or physically pulling the system out we people in the uk dont like being told what to do and never have done so the likelihood of a system like this actually working how its supposed to is very slim.

if the technology exists to be fitted in the first place the technology to remove it wont be far behind.

we people in the uk dont like being told what to do and never have done so the likelihood of a system like this actually working how its supposed to is very slim.

Really? Are we talking about the same UK here? The UK that happily allowed detention orders, asbos, government control of conducting enquiries, several pointless wars, congestion charging, constant spying, terrorism legislation that's open to abuse, governmental interfering in our personal communications. And that's just in the 7 years I've been here.

No offence but it seems to me the UK population has no problem at all being told to bend over and take it.

Really? Are we talking about the same UK here? The UK that happily allowed detention orders, asbos, government control of conducting enquiries, several pointless wars, congestion charging, constant spying, terrorism legislation that's open to abuse, governmental interfering in our personal communications. And that's just in the 7 years I've been here.

No offence but it seems to me the UK population has no problem at all being told to bend over and take it.

yes ok the modern uk seems to submit a lot quicker but in the past weve had a history of rebelling tbh.

and half the problem are the mushy brained idiots that think these sort of things will actually help not only that you will get a lot of people saying "ooh thats a good idea ill vote yes for that oh dont worry though nobody else will so i wont have to worry about it happening"

asbos came in because according to the media every young person is a scrote so we must find some way to legally label them as a scrote :)rolleyes:).

pointless wars well thats the Americans rather tan the uk we just follow them in as they are allies and "friends" as they like to keep reminding us by killing our troops.

spying well we have done that for years only difference is now it is more widely known about and less secretive.

interfering in personal communications well that's been going on for years as well just now the public get to hear about it and it is more widespread.

in true style (Gordon Brown and Tony Blairs governments having been the worst for this. although the Thatcher government was on a par) the government do something or allow something and then tell us about it later. Not dissimilar to a kid falling over getting his trousers covered in mud leaving them in the washing basket for his mum to find and her then asking when id this happen to get the classic "oh i forgot to tell you about that".

round here there are a lot of pubs that when it gets to the early hours of the morning then allow smoking, nearly everybody i know speeds when driving including people in their 80s. might be different in other parts of the country but round here people tend to make the government think we are being good little minions and then do what we like anyhow.

Last edited:
Whenever I drive quickly/break speed limits, if theres one thing I'm definitely doing its concentrating......

I've been driving for over 2 years and every time I've come close to an accident, its ALWAYS been because I wasnt concentrating properly or my mind was somewhere else at the time.

How about adding technology with limits the MINIMUM speed of motorway drivers to 70mph?

Whenever I drive quickly/break speed limits, if theres one thing I'm definitely doing its concentrating......

I've been driving for over 2 years and every time I've come close to an accident, its ALWAYS been because I wasnt concentrating properly or my mind was somewhere else at the time.

How about adding technology with limits the MINIMUM speed of motorway drivers to 70mph?

Funny enough, similar here with the near misses. They seem to happen alot more when driving really sensibly etc, keeping dead on the speed limit etc.

I'm all for a system that beeps annoyingly at you if you are exceeding the speed limit, but physically limiting the speed, no thank you. Can you imagine the difficulty trying to merge from a fast lane to a slow lane if a computer ensures that all cars are travelling at the same speed? People will just get lazy and leave their foot fully planted on the accelerator and letting the computer deal with speed limits.

I'm all for a system that beeps annoyingly at you if you are exceeding the speed limit, but physically limiting the speed, no thank you. Can you imagine the difficulty trying to merge from a fast lane to a slow lane if a computer ensures that all cars are travelling at the same speed? People will just get lazy and leave their foot fully planted on the accelerator and letting the computer deal with speed limits.

im sorry but thats crap it seems half odf this country cant drive anyhow as in theory whilst n the motorway you should neber have to brake other than when instructed to do so by the emergency services and from what ive seen it is the slower drivers braking more frequently because they seem to be miles away and not reading the road correctly eg get themselves blocked in by a lorry so pull out into somebodies way when had they judged correctly all of about 20 secs earlier they could have done so without causing someone else to slow. not onl this but people seem to forget that you should be in the left hand lane at all times other than when overtaking or passing a junction (to allow the traffic to merge freely).

this was proven to me on my way to gaydon yes ok i wasnt exactly dawdling but you have 3 empty lanes so there is some idiot in the middle lane doing 60:rolleyes:.

so whilst im thoroughly against any device that limits speed be it to a max speed, a minimum speed or both with half the idiots on our roads it might actually be a good idea. as would be a compulsory retest after a certain time period.

edit: forgot to say i agree with fenton i do concentrate a lot better at higher speeds partly as im enjoying it. i get bored at slower speeds so the mind starts wondering and i make mistakes.

Last edited:

That is so, so true... :eek:
I've found the same. My best driving has been at huge speeds... driving slowly, particularly in a long queue of cars, is when I am most likely to fall asleep, drift across the road, etc. And I've been driving for over 12 years...

-Alex

Completely agree, British people will swallow almost anything if it's said to combat terrorism or protect fluffy kittens. I can't believe a nation is so willing to believe their politicians and, as you say "bend over and take it"

When you've been driving a bit longer :rolleyes:, you might realise that speed limits are often imposed for good reasons. You admit to not concentrating and having your mind somewhere else when driving, how long before your mind wanders off on the motorway? Driving is not about how quick you can get somewhere it's about concentration (at all speeds), skill and awareness. When you're not concetrating at 'low speeds' are you looking for children running out or animals on the loose or people walking out because they're on their mobile? You could easily kill someone while not concentrating at 25 mph.

Agreed. It would be an accident waiting to happen.

im sorry but thats crap it seems half odf this country cant drive anyhow as in theory whilst n the motorway you should neber have to brake other than when instructed to do so by the emergency services and from what ive seen it is the slower drivers braking more frequently because they seem to be miles away and not reading the road correctly eg get themselves blocked in by a lorry so pull out into somebodies way when had they judged correctly all of about 20 secs earlier they could have done so without causing someone else to slow. not onl this but people seem to forget that you should be in the left hand lane at all times other than when overtaking or passing a junction (to allow the traffic to merge freely).

this was proven to me on my way to gaydon yes ok i wasnt exactly dawdling but you have 3 empty lanes so there is some idiot in the middle lane doing 60:rolleyes:.

so whilst im thoroughly against any device that limits speed be it to a max speed, a minimum speed or both with half the idiots on our roads it might actually be a good idea. as would be a compulsory retest after a certain time period.

edit: forgot to say i agree with fenton i do concentrate a lot better at higher speeds partly as im enjoying it. i get bored at slower speeds so the mind starts wondering and i make mistakes.

You should concentrate on your own driving rather worrying about what others are doing. There is a reason that the age group most likely to have a serious road traffic accident are 17 - 25 year olds. Its the age group that is all confidence, think they know it all and not enough experience or concentration.
The 'idiot' in the middle lane doing 60 has as much right to be there as you, he should be in lane 1 but never mind.

I've found the same. My best driving has been at huge speeds... driving slowly, particularly in a long queue of cars, is when I am most likely to fall asleep, drift across the road, etc. And I've been driving for over 12 years...

-Alex

I've seen drivers like you in motorway queues, they are usually the ones who have just rear ended the S class Merc in front of them because they couldn't be bothered to look where they're going.

-Alex
id have to agree with this too

fair enough we arent supposed to break the limit but lets face it, we all do.
im not saying lets all race around so we're more on the ball. but i do find that when im driving slowly i lose interest in driving which is a pretty dangerous thing. we should be keeping britain moving not slowing everything down to a stand still.

its not all about the speed its more peoples attitudes and the general publics driving isnt good,
theres the odd few of us out there with more experience in car control etc than others.. but the general amount of drivers are terrible when they exceed their talent and cant recover.

I personally think that the speed limit is more suited to being 40. everyone does bloody 35-40 anyway and on motorways if you go below 75 it feels like youre crawling.

the problem is a mass amount of people who 1. cant drive very well and 2. are going at different speeds to eachother.

i think people should be penailised for going too slowly as well as too fast.

another thing is that sometimes you need to stray over the speed limit, i recon if you couldnt possibly go over 30 in most areas there would be more accidents as you couldnt possibly safely overtake.... which again is another thing maybe we shouldnt do but in many cases i have had to.

i dont really think itll catch on. its not that clear cut. and if im wrong and it does catch on ill admit i was wrong, but i still wont think its a good idea!

Last edited:
If its one thing that always comes into these discussions, its the age old "i'm a better driver than you" thing.

Experience != Good Driver.

After like 2 years of general road driving... I think you've pretty much got all the experience needed to become a semi-competent driver, if you cover a reasonable amount of distance on different roads etc.

The real driving skill IMO comes from being able to know the precise limits of your car, the road your on, and typical problems that arise on the said road.

You only find out the limits of your car from driving outside of "allowed" conditions.

Driving fast has nothing to do with much either. Driving fast in the wrong conditions though....

I wouldn't mind a device that limited a car to 85mph. Can have plenty of fun up to that.

You should concentrate on your own driving rather worrying about what others are doing. There is a reason that the age group most likely to have a serious road traffic accident are 17 - 25 year olds. Its the age group that is all confidence, think they know it all and not enough experience or concentration.
The 'idiot' in the middle lane doing 60 has as much right to be there as you, he should be in lane 1 but never mind.

yes agreed he has as much right to be there as i do but unlike an apparent majority i stay in the first lane unless im overtaking AS EVERYONE SHOULD. it is this that bothers me not the fact he is doing 60, which is a perfectly reasonable and legal speed.

the thing people forget though is that a slow driver can be just as dangerous as a fast one we all know most people in the middle and outside lanes tend to be doing a fair bit more than 70 so why would you be stupid enough to sit in the middle lane when there are no other cars in sight and be doing 60 in that lane? when by doing so you are putting yourself and the other occupants of your car at risk (a minor risk presuming the person trying to go past is driving appropriately) but certainly more risk than he would have if he was in the 1st lane where he should be.

No i shouldn't concentrate on my own driving or that of others but both. if i only concentrated on my own driving id have had quite a few crashes by now tbh it is me predicting "oh he isnt going to stop" etc tied in with my own driving that has enabled me to avoid said crashes.

i have avoided 3 crashes this week not by me driving like a twonk, speeding or anything like that but by the other drivers being distracted or not doing their observations correctly.

now i am far from an experienced driver i accept that. i have only held my license since January but have actually been driving since a young age off road (for those of interest Davidstow moor in north Cornwall) where you have to contend with sheep, horses, cattle, pedestrians, other road traffic , microlights and light aircraft. so you not only have to look left and right and check your mirrors when pulling away or changing direction but also to look up in case of light aircraft either attempting to land.

experience can also be as dangerous and in some cases more dangerous than in experience. ok an experienced driver might be able to correct a skid where an inexperienced driver could not but you can also get experienced drivers relying on their experience more than their actual skills (ie the autopilot principal one will pick up if they take the same route too and from work everyday at the same speeds etc).

before someone tries to claim it no i am not saying i am an experienced or skilled driver or any other wording to make me sound better than anyone else. but i do know what my car will do what my tyres are good for and my own ability and i do drive within these parameters. pushing your capabilities is fine but should be left solely for on a track.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a device that limited a car to 85mph. Can have plenty of fun up to that.

you're just saying that as you drive a cinq ;) :nerner: 85 is just into 4th in my car :eek: on the track that is...

how do these systems work? imagine it'd be dangerous if you come round a corner where the speed changes say from national to 30, and your pushing it a bit. no thanks. Carburettor time :devil:

you're just saying that as you drive a cinq ;) :nerner: 85 is just into 4th in my car :eek: on the track that is...

how do these systems work? imagine it'd be dangerous if you come round a corner where the speed changes say from national to 30, and your pushing it a bit. no thanks. Carburettor time :devil:

:( lol

I would imagine that the devices would either be in the ECU or in a stand-alone unit using either GPS or something a bit more accurate.

GPS would be the most use for things like tracks to un-limit the car ala Nissan GT-R style as all cars are restricted to 110mph in Japan IIRC.

I suppose the system would also have to include a slow down system that could only slow you down in cases like that in x mph / sec.

Back