To service or not

Currently reading:
To service or not

So we are part exchanging our 69 plate car to a main dealer. The new car is not arriving until maybe Jan. But the service light has just popped up on our car. Should we get it serviced or leave it.

what's the car and what engine? If it's a diesel you probably need to at least get the oil changed and the computer reset - most diesels now a days need to "know" when the oil's been changed and you ignore oil changes at your peril.

Thanks yes good point so its a Ford Fiesta with 1.0 turbo engine. We told them it had not had its first service yet at the time of doing the deal.

Last edited:
Good advice here and I also think you probably should. A stamp in the service book is worth money in the bank.

Are you going with a main dealer? Most smaller garages will be up for it and a bit cheaper. You'll still get the stamp in the book though.

Thanks again and interestingly where I can get an oil & filter service done was my next question.

Thanks again and interestingly where I can get an oil & filter service done was my next question.
Of course you can look on line or even just keep your eyes open as you drive around. Personally I'd avoid the "drive in rapid fit type places". If you don't have any local contacts one of the best ways to find a good garage is to ask friends colleagues and neighbours where they take their cars.

Of course you can look on line or even just keep your eyes open as you drive around. Personally I'd avoid the "drive in rapid fit type places". If you don't have any local contacts one of the best ways to find a good garage is to ask friends colleagues and neighbours where they take their cars.

Thanks I should have said main dealer or not. I have two good independent garages I use in my town. I will get it booked in ASAP.

Im off to the land of the wild haggis next week :D

Thanks I should have said main dealer or not. I have two good independent garages I use in my town. I will get it booked in ASAP.

Im off to the land of the wild haggis next week :D
It is just about 2 years old and just needs its first service if I am reading this correctly.
Get service done at the manufactures dealer to avoid trade in price arguments.
Theoretically you dont have to use dealer but in practice for your circumstances go to dealer.

But just for arguments sake I would understand going to a main dealer to get my current car serviced if I wanted to be certain of maintaining the GMFV. But Im part exchanging my car to a dealer of a different car brand. Surely if I do get it serviced and the car is serviced using the correct oil & filter it would not matter ?

Last edited:
But just for arguments sake I would understand going to a main dealer to get my current car serviced if I wanted to be certain of maintaining the GMFV. But Im part exchanging my car to a dealer of a different car brand. Surely if I do get it serviced and the car is serviced using the correct oil & filter it would not matter ?
What level of service is this we're talking about? Just an oil change and inspection or a major service. Have you got a quote for what the main dealer will charge you? and what the indy might charge? Whether it makes a difference to the dealer selling you the new car will depend on how "hungry" the new dealer is. If it was getting near the end of the month and I only needed a couple more sales to hit my target (and so earn bonus) I'd do some good deals just to get my numbers.

However, by all I've read, it's a seller's market for new cars just now, and opinion seems to be that it's likely to stay that way for some time, so probably not a good time to be buying. On the other hand really good, young, used cars are fetching a premium so maybe you can expect a good price so why jeopardize that by skimping a few quid and not getting a main dealer stamp in the book? - Just my thinking on it, and I'm not infallible.

Excellent reply thanks again. I should point out that the deal is already done and the new car ordered. They know it’s not had its first service. I may be worrying uneccassarily.

Excellent reply thanks again. I should point out that the deal is already done and the new car ordered. They know it’s not had its first service. I may be worrying uneccassarily.

Personally I would say there's a difference in the information "it's not had it's first service" when it wasn't due and it being 3 months over due. There may be an assumption you would maintain the car until hand over. If it broke down at the side of the motorway it's not like you can leave it there as the sale was agreed and they know where to find it.

If you leave it to go 3 months there's a good chance you'll be invalidating the OEM warranty and make it unsaleable as an approved used car. Recently renewed the extended warranty on the Citroën which has the same terms as their used warranty. It specifically states getting the car serviced more than a month late invalidates any warranty claims from that point on.

Thanks again all

So the car is calling for an oil service. The outgoing car is a Ford Fiesta Vignale. Exactly like this one.

2018_Ford_Fiesta_Vignale_Front.jpg

The incoming car is a VW UP GTI exactly like this one.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

So im going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask for an update on delivery of the new car. Also I will ask about their expectations regarding servicing.

Back