To claim or not to claim?

Currently reading:
To claim or not to claim?

Had an accident on christmas eve in my girlfriend's Alfa 145. I'm a named driver on the policy, 9 years NCB. Everyone is ok but the car needs at least a new wing, bumper and something is wrong with the suspension.

I know I have to inform the insurance company and I know you don't have to make a claim in the event of an accident...

...however...

The guy driving the other car in the accident is making a claim so does that mean I now have to? It's a tidy car but I know the insurance company will write it off due to the age (2000) and the value. I'd be happy to fix it myself instead of claiming on our insurance, can I do this if he is making a claim and if I choose not to claim what effect will his claim have on my insurance? Presuming I'll loose my NCB but get to keep the car?

Last edited:
Ring your insurer,
inform them whats happend,

get all info ready,
Witness details if any,
and draw a diagram of the accident ie the way the car came at you if it was there fault, road description and weather wet/dry overcast blah de blah,.

just sitting back and not informing insurer is bad way to go,
inform them, (y)

That's not what I'm asking.

I know I have to inform them, I'm going to do that (they're not open again until tomorrow so couldn't tell them the night it happened). I'm also not suggesting that I fix his car or anything like that, if he has to claim then he has to claim.

This is a good guide but doesn't mention what happens if he's making a claim?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...r-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance

Will his claim be against his insurance and mine won't suffer in anyway?

Last edited:
who is at fault? if its him get his insurance to settle with a cash in lue payment

Couldn't honestly say. I was turning right out of a junction (indicators on!), saw him and braked. He was approaching from the right, he braked and he hit the offside front of our car. In my opinion he could maybe have avoided us, there was nothing coming towards him in the lane I was trying to pull into so he could maybe have swerved and I stopped before I'd move out far enough to completely block his lane. But I was pulling into a road that he was already on, there are always a lot of parked cars on the junction and it's a nightmare to pull out of.

I have lots of used spare parts and work in the parts trade so I'm not after him or his insurance paying for repairs. I'll do it all myself cheaply enough.

you failed to give way, so it will be a fault claim on your insurance anyway so you may as well take the money they will give you less the scrap value and keep the car.

:yeahthat:

NCD is irreverent as it'll be your girlfriend's NCD affect and not yours as you're only a named driver.

Personally I'd claim, and make them aware from the start that if they write the car off that you wish to retain the salvage to repair it yourself.

For reference though, just because they're claiming doesn't mean you have to. If you don't claim there will be no excess to pay, where as if you do then any settlement will be minus this.

the car has been hit in the suspension,i would inform insurer and let them do the business
its an accident
salvage is probably not worth having
what will you gain by not taking a payout as even informing of an accident stays on your record for 5 years and your girlfriends

the car has been hit in the suspension,i would inform insurer and let them do the business
its an accident
salvage is probably not worth having
what will you gain by not taking a payout as even informing of an accident stays on your record for 5 years and your girlfriends

Good point about the suspension damage, I missed this first time around.

Back