Technical tipo diesel 1991 overheating???

Currently reading:
Technical tipo diesel 1991 overheating???

ash1971

hi, ive been the proud owner of a h reg 1.9 turbo diesel tipo for a couple of weeks, yesterday after a 50 mile run the digital temp gauge went up from its normal 2 bar marking to the middle of the gauge, about 6 bars up.The small pipe which branches off and which returns to the top of the plastic coolant reservoir tank was flowing coolant and steaming?... hope i dont have to scrap her.... any ideas please.. cheers ashleigh..

Last edited:
ash1971 said:
hi, ive been the proud owner of a h reg 1.9 turbo diesel tipo for a couple of weeks, yesterday after a 50 mile run the digital temp gauge went up from its normal 2 bar marking to the middle of the gauge, about 6 bars up.The small pipe which branches off and which returns to the top of the plastic coolant reservoir tank was flowing coolant and steaming?... hope i dont have to scrap her.... any ideas please.. cheers ashleigh..
hi again, ive lost about 2 litres of water in the last day or so, so i had a look around the engine bay and can see water leaking from the water pump, the harder i rev the engine the more water is leaking ( i suppose thats obvious) and am trying to find out how much of a pig of a job this could be, and is it expensive, also is there any sealant type products that could be added to the cooling system to seal it.. cheers again ashleigh..

Forget the sealants - they just make it worse in the long run.

If it is definitely the pump itself, go and buy one from a breaker - should be around £20 - 30.

Easy to replace - cheaper than gettting it fixed, but not as cheap as fixing it yourself... take it off, check the seals, castings, etc.

May be as simple as a seal, or as easily fixed as a cracked casting (get it clean and you should be able to get it welded for £5-10).

Give us more info, and we'll give you more help ;)

Back