Technical Tipo 1.4 IE - need help on upgrading.

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo 1.4 IE - need help on upgrading.

limape

Hi.

I'm new here, i have a Tipo 1.4 IE S.

tipo.jpg

Love the car, back in the 90s was my first car, but an 1.1 carb, always loved it.

In the past i had three 1.1, two 1.4, and one 1.7d .

No Sedicivalvole's for sale in Portugal so i bought the only 3 door Tipo that showed up...

As my first 1.4 it's two slow, under powered...

What's the best it can be done to improve the engine?

Is an engine swap with a bravo 1.4 12v possible regarding only changing the engine block/heads and keeping everything else from the Tipo engine?

Thanks!

Lima

Great picture. It looks like Fiat 'Racing Red'. I had a 3 door 1.4 in the 90's. It didn't seem slow, but it probably would now. With the move to electronic injection on the facelift, these cars lost 10bhp or so. If you are talking about the Brava/Bravo then a straight engine & gearbox change will fit, as the body/engine mountings are all the same. I am not sure whether your existing gearbox will mate with that engine - it may - I just think you would need to check that the bolts are in the same place. If fitting both as a set, I would check that you can get the clutch hose to wherever the slave cylinder is, if different, and then you need to sort out the wiring to the instrument panel. ADDITION - I imagine the Bravo is a multipoint injection, so you would need to change the ECU and you would need the relevant part of the wiring loom for your new engine, but often these can be found on Ebay.

Last edited:
Great picture. It looks like Fiat 'Racing Red'. I had a 3 door 1.4 in the 90's. It didn't seem slow, but it probably would now. With the move to electronic injection on the facelift, these cars lost 10bhp or so. If you are talking about the Brava/Bravo then a straight engine & gearbox change will fit, as the body/engine mountings are all the same. I am not sure whether your existing gearbox will mate with that engine - it may - I just think you would need to check that the bolts are in the same place. If fitting both as a set, I would check that you can get the clutch hose to wherever the slave cylinder is, if different, and then you need to sort out the wiring to the instrument panel. ADDITION - I imagine the Bravo is a multipoint injection, so you would need to change the ECU and you would need the relevant part of the wiring loom for your new engine, but often these can be found on Ebay.
Thanks.
Yes, racing red. I'll probably keep the engine, it's in really good condition, i'm doing 6,5L /100km which is very nice!
And with the price of gas increasing...

Back