Currently reading:
Technical Timing issue

RMVS

Hello,

1.2 2007 Grande Punto

I am having trouble getting the timing right in a grande punto. Basically, the car was purchased with a bad water pump. The water pump was so loose I am assuming the timing has been knocked out as the car has a bad misfire.

Worth noting I have changed spark plugs, leads and coil pack. Also done a compression test on each cylinder which brought back readings between 230 and 250.

After much fiddling about last week I read online my Cam required the tool to set it as there is no Cam markings as my Cam is the one with the torx end.

So, I got the timing tools. I can get the crank to TDC using the flywheel readings. TDC however does not line up with the crank locking tool it’s around 90 degrees out.

When I set the crank to TDC is locks the Cam. When I move the crank away from TDC it allows me to get the Cam tool in place however, when I put the tool in place it locks the crank and stops it going to TDC by around 5mm. The only way to get the crank freely moving 360 degrees is turning the Cam upside down.

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

1.2 2007 Grande Punto

I am having trouble getting the timing right in a grande punto. Basically, the car was purchased with a bad water pump. The water pump was so loose I am assuming the timing has been knocked out as the car has a bad misfire.

Worth noting I have changed spark plugs, leads and coil pack. Also done a compression test on each cylinder which brought back readings between 230 and 250.

After much fiddling about last week I read online my Cam required the tool to set it as there is no Cam markings as my Cam is the one with the torx end.

So, I got the timing tools. I can get the crank to TDC using the flywheel readings. TDC however does not line up with the crank locking tool it’s around 90 degrees out.

When I set the crank to TDC is locks the Cam. When I move the crank away from TDC it allows me to get the Cam tool in place however, when I put the tool in place it locks the crank and stops it going to TDC by around 5mm. The only way to get the crank freely moving 360 degrees is turning the Cam upside down.

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thanks

The timing setting point on that engine is not TDC which is why you are having problems.
The tools you have sound correct.

There are several threads on timing belt change on the forum. Possibly even guides.

The timing setting point on that engine is not TDC which is why you are having problems.
The tools you have sound correct.

There are several threads on timing belt change on the forum. Possibly even guides.
I will have another search. Was searching at weekend and couldn’t see any using both tools. Thanks

I will have another search. Was searching at weekend and couldn’t see any using both tools. Thanks

This thread and its links should help make sense of it all

This thread and its links should help make sense of it all

Right so had a go this morning. Set the crank and Cam tools correct. Worth noting I didn’t require loosening the cam it turned into position okay. Built it all back up and started car. Initially sounds fine then when running a few mins gets rougher. After running for 4/5 mins you hear the occasional small pop.

The code on machine before starting these works was P0300.

P0300 is a 'general misfire' I seem to recall

Ive not done any VVT work... but have recenty owned a 500 ... so same basic design..and mine will need a belt..etc this year

Common issues:

Belt change makes top and bottom timing signals 'shift'..as the new set.up takes up slack

A relearn is usually needed

Some talk of VVT solenoid wearing..or having impaired oil flow

Either of which wont help :(

P0300 is a 'general misfire' I seem to recall

Ive not done any VVT work... but have recenty owned a 500 ... so same basic design..and mine will need a belt..etc this year

Common issues:

Belt change makes top and bottom timing signals 'shift'..as the new set.up takes up slack

A relearn is usually needed

Some talk of VVT solenoid wearing..or having impaired oil flow

Either of which wont help :(
Turned out I had the timing perfect. Issue was sorted by replacing the fuel injectors. Thanks for the help

Back