Technical timing belt

Currently reading:
Technical timing belt

I wouldn’t have thought so, it would be very difficult to achieve mainly because the belt lives in the dry and the chain needs a constant supply of oil from the engine. So I don’t really see how you could achieve it.
Contrary to common belief timing chains should also be renewed at set intervals, I have worked on several vehicles with snapped timing chains over the years, not a pretty sight.

Contrary to common belief timing chains should also be renewed at set intervals, I have worked on several vehicles with snapped timing chains over the years, not a pretty sight. [/QUOTE]

all true,
the BABY JTD (1.3) is chain-driven ,and there have been some spectacular failures ( the chain files away the innards of the motor, circulating swarf for a few miles before letting go),
A belt is relatively simple to change too,
Charlie

The 2.2 engine in my relay was designed by ford and built an Dagenham Engine plant.
I spent some time on the installation of the machines and have spent many months over the years, going back in on shutdowns and during production to modify and maintain these machines.
The company I worked for made the head and block assembly machines, so we saw many changes to the engine design even before the machines were installed in Dagenham.
Machine build started about 2 years prior to full production.

These engines started off as 4 and 5 cyl chain driven cam shaft.
2.0lt, 2.2lt, 2.8lt, 3.0lt and 3.2lt. The 3 and 3.2 were to be 5 cyl.
Obviously the originals didnt end up as production units.
One of the biggest problems in early days was chain noise/failure. To move forward, Ford hierarchy insisted the engines be belt driven.
Some of the ford production guys got to drive a test mondeo fitted with the 5 cyl engine at a Dunton ford employees day. All said it was nuts .
The 5 cyl had masses of power and torque but partly due to the enormouse amount of internal torque coming from the very large balance shaft in the sump and the chain issues. The chain and the 5 cyl never got to production.

(please bare in mind this all happened a few years ago and the old swede aint what it used to be) Hope this helps.

Dagenham sell these and other diesel engines to peugeot, as do bridgend with the petrol engines.

Nowadays,
it's becoming difficult to differentiate between Degined by / Built by /Assembled by,
I ride European M-cycles and their motors are almost exclusively Built in Taiwan under licence,

I've not really dealt with the modern PSA diesel motors ( Peugeot/Citroen), but all the FIAT petrols have the "shield / brand" symbols cast into everything,
does this Ducato motor carry any identifying logo's ??,
Charlie

Too good to have been designed by Ford. The last Transit diesel wasn't.
Ford Dunton have probabliy the best group of diesel Designers/engineers in the western world.
Tis the reason Mazda, PSA, Renault and many others have bought Engines from Dagenham for many years.

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Back