Technical Timing Belt

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt

Djw Dave

Hello,

Quick couple on T/belts for my Mk1 1986 Uno Turbo.

1. How many year/miles do the need changing?

2. How hard is it to do? any special tools required? Any guides on here?

Cheers again guys

Dave :p

Don't know and don't know (yet).

However, if you don't know whaen it was last done or if the belt has oil on it, do it ASAP.

Also fix any oil leak which can drip onto the belt as a contaminated belt won't last as long.

Don't forget to replace the tensioner too :).

timing belt is £7 from shop4parts and I think its a genuine fiat part, so absolute bargain really.

AFAIK, your biggest problem is gonna be lining the flywheel up (havent done it, just from what I've heard) as you only get a VERY narrow slot to view the timing mark thru the bell/gear housing so can be tricky.

also tensioners, that seems to be the pricey bit, maybe £30-40?

You line up the pulleys from the timing belt end rather than the gearbox timing marks Faster4! On the FIRE engines you simply line up the marks on the camshaft pulleys with the indentations on the head and the block. It's fairly simple. I'm fairly sure the UT is pretty much the same.

As for the tensioner, go to a motor factors rather than buying Fiat. I bought one for my Uno FIRE and it cost all of about £11.

Personally I'd change the timing belt every two to three years or at 30K miles (whichever comes first). I think they're good for more than that but they're not hard to do and I know for a fact that the turbo is not a 'safe' engine if the belt snaps. Changing the belt is cheap, rebuilding the engine isn't...

I dont know if it ever been done so its top of my list to do, ill do a belt kit as i always have done on cars.

Cheers for the info so far

I'd recommend changing the waterpump at the same time, i have done with all my previous cars, as only £20 and you wont have any probs with that side of the engine, many peolple in the past have reccomended this! Ant!

I'd recommend changing the waterpump at the same time, i have done with all my previous cars, as only £20 and you wont have any probs with that side of the engine, many peolple in the past have reccomended this! Ant!

Good suggestion Ant! (y) As the cambelt on the FIRE also drives the waterpump you might as well change that as well while you have everything in bits. It will mean one less thing to worry about and potentially one less thing to go wrong ;)

Ordered a timng belt and roller :)

Just need water pump now and a few hours spare

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Timig belt kit here and water pump ordered today!

Hopefully have it all fitted by the end of the week.

:)

Back