Technical timing belt

Currently reading:
Technical timing belt

very low milage can be even worse for the belt than daily use. rubber becomes brittle when it sits unused in the same position for some time.

i would change your belt asap.

not sure if i should get it done my cars done 21k the belts not been changed
cars and x reg 2000 what do you think

Yep change it.

I heard its best to do it every 20k. But then i dont know much, probably less than you. Im sure Jug will post something.

20k is boardering on hysteria - unless you only do 4k a year.

You should do it due to the age of your car, yes.

Exactly.

If i am not mistaken its every 60000miles or every 5 years whichever comes first.

Fiat say every 5 years or 72,000 miles. We reccomend as you say - or less if you want to play super safe - 50,000 miles.

i changed mine at 58k when i bought the car, its on 75k now and looking at the belt last weekend i think i'll be changing it again soonish. so cracks or thinning yet, problem is they couldnt get a gates belt when i changed mine so i got a cheapy instead, and then bought a gates belt the following week. even since i've been paranoid about my belt and i wont feel safe until i get that gates belt on it.

is there anywhere on the net were i can get a gates power grip belt for a 1.6? theres one on ebay its a kit with bolts tensioners etc for £70 as its only done 21k it wont need them doing i think i read that on the site somewhere i just need the belt i dont really want to spend that much on it im on hol in 18 days lol

You're going to wait until the tensioner or pulley fails then change it? :rolleyes:

Always change them. Waterpump too. You can't change them without doing the belt and since the belt won't need doing again for another 4/5 years 50/60k do you expect the tensioners and pulleys to last 10 years and 120,000 miles?

your local motorfactor should be able to supply a gates powergrip for £25, just make sure you order it before you need it.

personally at 21k i would only change the belt, non-rubber parts like bearings will still be good as new. your next belt change should be at approx 80k, so i'd wait till then and do the full lot (you probably wont own it by then)

on my own cars i dont change tensioners, idlers and waterpump until at least 100k and i'm not a risk taker. on some cars (e.g. twinsparks) you need to be more careful. i know on my car at 58k the tensioner and waterpump had perfectly smooth bearings with no play at all, so i'm not worried. its better to be safe than sorry, but its cheaper and more sensible to make a decision based on the actual condition of the parts, which at 21k will be good as new.

but to each their own :)

your local motorfactor should be able to supply a gates powergrip for £25, just make sure you order it before you need it.

personally at 21k i would only change the belt, non-rubber parts like bearings will still be good as new. your next belt change should be at approx 80k, so i'd wait till then and do the full lot (you probably wont own it by then)

on my own cars i dont change tensioners, idlers and waterpump until at least 100k and i'm not a risk taker. on some cars (e.g. twinsparks) you need to be more careful. i know on my car at 58k the tensioner and waterpump had perfectly smooth bearings with no play at all, so i'm not worried. its better to be safe than sorry, but its cheaper and more sensible to make a decision based on the actual condition of the parts, which at 21k will be good as new.

but to each their own :)
it was one of your old posts i read about only changing the belt (y)

All I'll say is I saw an Alfa v6 with BOTH heads off at Motormech in Birmingham. When I asked what had happened the guy had brought it in for a timing belt change at 70k. Thing is he insisted against advice that only the belt needed changing.

5k down the road and the tensioner failed. Over £1500 worth of damage and counting.

SO im guessing GATES belts/ tensioners are the desired choice? where did you get the kit from? make of the kit? do they deliver???

Back