Technical Timing belt width?

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt width?

lowaaa

Hi there, I've got a Fiat Punto, MK2, 2004, 8v and was wondering on the size for the timing belt? I've seen a lot of posts talking about timing belts but never seen someone discussing the size? Theres two options, a width of 15 and a width of 22. Both have 129 teeth. I could go out and buy one of them and see if it was the right fit, and if not return it, however, then the next person who comes along will also have to do that, so with the answer being on the forums, I feel it'll be easier for the next person to get the right one.

I know that on a 8v if it snaps it's fine, however, whenever I come to a stop at a traffic light I can hear, what I presume is the belt winding down, to which I couldn't hear before. I'm on 74k miles so I know I'm already past the change date and a few months ago I changed the alternator belt so I know it's not that.

Also I presume I don't have a water pump on my 8v car right?

If anyone could help, that would be nice :) Looking to change it this weekend.

Thanks!

See here: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...t_Punto_(2003_to_2006)_1.2_8v_Timing_Belt_Kit you will have a water pump driven by the cam belt. Shop4 parts - who are people who really know about Fiats - are asking for a chassis/vin number to confirm so I don't think we could accurately advise you as to what belt your car should use.

By the way, 8 valve engines are "non interference" until they started putting the VVT cam pulley on them (69hp engine) which went into the Panda around 2011. Thereafter they are very much interference. My boy's 2012 Punto 8 valve is interference.

Give the lads at S4p a ring with your chassis number and they'll advise you, I've found them very friendly and helpful.

You definitely have a water pump on the car, it is placed in the lower part of the engine and it is driven by the timing belt as Jock very well mentioned. The bifurcated metal pipe of the cooling system is feeding the pump, the pump sits right behind where pipe goes into the engine and the acces to pump is on the other side, where the belt is.
As for the belt size, as you've mentioned it is an info that would help others too. And if you have a little time to spend, you could take the timing cover down and just measure the size of the belt you have. And afterwards tell us too, of course.

I just ordered the 15mm width one from eurocarparts along with the water pump. I would order from Shop4parts but that's all the way in leeds and the delivery I can't be bothered for. Especially if the part is wrong or damaged, I'd have to go for the hassle of shipping it back.

Thank you both for informing me about the water pump. I'll let you guys know if it's a 15mm or a 22mm width after Saturday :)

Back