Technical Timing Belt & Timing Belt Tensioner..

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt & Timing Belt Tensioner..

playboisoldier

MK2 Punto 1.2 16v
Hi guys, I need to get both of them done soon. Was just wondering, how much would this set me back ? Can't trust garages these days so would prefer to have a estimate on what it would cost.

Thanks in advance

well, i payed just over £250 for cam belt, tensioner, aux belt, water pump and coolent change. prices will vary from garage to garage, area to area so it hard to really give an exact price. shouldnt cost no more than £350 (most places quoted me ~£320 and ive found here to be quite expensive)
u should look at changing the water pump as a precaution really while they are taking apart ur engine. to my understanding if the water pump fails the engine wont be getting coolant to where its needed. this will make the engine over heat which can cause it to seize/blow the head gasket etc which wont be pretty. especially for your pocket. its a cheap part but can save u a lot of problems in the future.
ur best be is to get as much done as u can to avoid future problems and trips to the garage. get them to do all belts and change the coolant. get them to flush the system b4 coolant change if u can as well. even if this means leaks are found (dirty systems can bung up any holes that may be there and flushing it can loosen it) u can replace the radiator and avoid loosing coolant which again will be bad. radiators are like £30 iirc so again, a reasonably cheap item that can create lots of problems.
i dont claim to know a lot about engines... very little in fact, but from reading up on here about it all, i think ive covered the reasons etc. dont hold me to them, but everyone will say the same thing and recomend getting it done. £300 wont seem like such an expense when u consider the costs involved in sorting out bent valves etc from a snapped belt or a blown gasket from over heating.

Thank you so much for your reply, just wondering was the £250 for just the labour or did that include the parts too. How long does it usually take ? I need the car a lot, so for the car to be taken away from me for a few days wouldn't be nice. :(

Back