Technical timing belt question again

Currently reading:
Technical timing belt question again

marktoby

a Brava i'm buying has 85k miles on the clock (she's a 1.2 SX year 2000), the belt was replaced at 55k, but just wondering is it due to be replaced again??

And is it just the belt that gets replaced??

Now this is where I get confused because on BOO it says every 40,000, oldschool says everything 3 years or 36,000, and the spec says about 74,000 (but I know it's a lot less than this)

What is the definite time? As I am buying a new one too, and the cam belt was done 23,000 miles ago, and the car has only done 65,000 miles. I don't know whether to change it or not but I'd kind of prefer not to! :(

not sure how long ago the belt was done, guessing it could be 3 years? (since the cars done approx 10k/year)

Also, it's best to get the whole kit done, tensioners etc, not just the belt, and think about replacing ur water pump aswell, if it's never been done, as that's what just killed mine!

Hmm my car came with no history. it has done 110k miles. Is there a way of lookin it an knowing if it should be replaced?

sorry, but do people change their own belts?? are the consequences to getting it wrong not extremely off putting??

Now this is where I get confused because on BOO it says every 40,000, oldschool says everything 3 years or 36,000, and the spec says about 74,000 (but I know it's a lot less than this)

What is the definite time? As I am buying a new one too, and the cam belt was done 23,000 miles ago, and the car has only done 65,000 miles. I don't know whether to change it or not but I'd kind of prefer not to! :(

I know some alfa 2.0 Ts engines were given a service interval of around 72k- 5 years
however this was an over estimate and it was ammended to an interval of around 36k. i'd go with every 40k which would mean every 3 or so years as its better safe than sorry.

I'd get it changed, its better to spend money changing the cambelt rather than having a new engine or engine re-build! ask Rusty if you dont believe me ;)

I personally would get the cam belt, aux belt and tensioners done when buying a new car asap.

When i bought my first bravo the belt went within 6 months of buying the car and the car had 30-40k on the clock. Unless the belt and everything has been done recently and there is proof i would get it done as soon as poss.

When I had the coupe it was common if the aux belt went it would take the cambelt with it.

cheers all, my mind is made up so, replacement it is! Might get a garage to do it though!

cheers all, my mind is made up so, replacement it is! Might get a garage to do it though!

There are plenty of people on here who do it themselves but i would get it done at garage. Its not much more to get the auxbelt and tensioners done. When I had my bravos belt done last the labour for the cambelt covered the fitting of the auxbelt and tensioners anyway.

around that. When I had mine done I had a service and MOT. Had the lot done!!

For everything incl fitting i would expect to pay between £190 - £230 depending on the garage but I have seen it costing £385 :eek: but that is financial rape and I have no idea where they got their costs from

its always worth bearing in mind to supply your own parts if you can get them at a good deal as the garage will have a part mark up anyway.

So shop for parts timing belt thats £86.74 for a 1.8 and £69.87 for the 1.6

aux belt for the 1.6 £8.72 aux belt

tensioners

so this just gives you an idea on what you can be paying for the kit and then getting quotes for the labour.

I have used shop for parts loads of times, bought injectors, clutch slaves etc and they have been great.

dont forget to ad VAT on top though

Back