Technical Timing Belt on JTD 115 Multiwagon

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt on JTD 115 Multiwagon

Changing the timing belt on my multiwagon next weekend, any one got any tips or pointers anything i should be watching out for. Done allsorts of belts in the past from X1/9's to Peugeot Partners, but this'll be the first JTD.

Any advice much appreciated(y)

Take some pictures and write a guide for others. I did mine a while ago but didn't take any pictures.

Definitely change the water pump and tensioners while you have it all apart. Cam sprocket has to come off but it is keyed so only goes on one way round. Loosen the bolt in the center of the cam sprocket while the cam belt is still on to avoid hitting valves. It is not very tight and a large screwdriver through the spoke and onto the small ledge behind it is enough to hold it.
Remove engine ECU, water header tank and wheel arch trim first to give you space to work. On the crank shaft pulley, undo the 4 Torx bolts to take the pulley off. You dont need to lock the crankshaft or undo the center bolt like some cars.

Setting the tension on the new cam belt tensioner is a 2 person job. One to push the little leaver from below and the other to tighten the center bolt from above.

You need socket set, Torx key set, Strong Hex key(I think 5mm) to remove cam position sensor and a large adjustable spanner or open ended spanner to release the Aux belt tensioner.

Don't forget all the bleed points in the water pipes and one in the Rad when you put the water back in.

Have fun.

Cheers john thanks for the info sounds like it's not too bad a job, will definately try to take a load of pics and stick a guide up.

Glad you don't need to lock the crankshaft pulley had to do that on my girlfriends 1991 rover 216gsi took two of us a home made locking tool and a scaffold bar2 metres long to break the nut off if i'd have know it was that tight i would have scrapped the car. All done now though and she's a happy bunny with her cheap rover/honda.

Glad you don't need to lock the crankshaft pulley had to do that on my girlfriends 1991 rover 216gsi took two of us a home made locking tool and a scaffold bar2 metres long to break the nut off if i'd have know it was that tight i would have scrapped the car. All done now though and she's a happy bunny with her cheap rover/honda.

Yea they are a pig. I used the same method when I had one a few years ago. It took my breaker bar with a scaffold poll over it to get that nut off. Mine was a K series, not a honda engine though.

Back