Technical Timing belt change

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt change

I bought Punto 1.2 8V with 97000 Km done. I want to know when to change the timing belt and spark plugs? Also what could be the cost for that? Does anyone suggest some good car care product also? ( exterior+interior)

Cheers.
Dipyaman

as youve just bought it, unless it came with service history stating a recent service, i would recommend doing a full service engine wise;

spark plugs - €10
oil - €15~ (depending on brand)
oil filter - €5
air filter - €10
engine flush - €5
radiator flush - €5
coolant change - €5
timing belt and tensioner kit - €30

the 8v is easy to work on, you only need basic mechanic skills really
you could do all above work in under 2 hours, (most of the time would be running the engine and radiator flush through and then waiting for the fan to kick in while bleeding the system)

theres plenty of guides on here to show you how to do most things

97 000 kilometres = 60 273.0056 miles

Thats what googles says how many miles it is

Over here its 64000 miles to change the belt
However tho - the Punto 1.2 8v is a safe engine, so if the belt snaps, no damage is done to the engine, its just inconvient

If you were thinking of doing it - then by all means do it - doing it early is a good thing

As for price it depends really on what garages charge
Its a simple dead easy engine todo it :)
If they time it up wrong - it can just simply redone

Ziggy

Thanks for the info Ziggy.. trust me its a great help as Am planning to drive from Belgium to France in coming Month so i was bit tensed if I need to change it now in hurry before my trip. But I can still run 1000 km safely before changing it:).
A big thanks to you. I have another problem with my car cassette player. It shows 'WAIT' whenever i switch it on. Tried code'1216' which my seller told me but didnt work. May be I must go and see Garage for it? :(

Cheers,
Dipyaman

However tho - the Punto 1.2 8v is a safe engine, so if the belt snaps, no damage is done to the engine, its just inconvient

If you were thinking of doing it - then by all means do it - doing it early is a good thing

Ziggy

Hey Sam, Thanks a heaps.
I will get that Manual but do you have any link to download a copy of it? I saw your car modification. Appreciated your choice(y) . I recently bought a lift up reverse gear knob. Could you help me to install from ur past exp? Moreover i found my headlamp has provision for fog lights but its not really there neither the dashboard button. Can i install set of front fog lamp? then How?

Cheers,
Dipyaman

Ziggy

get urself a haynes manual. even for basic jobs they are a handy thing to have.

Hey Sam, Thanks a heaps.
I will get that Manual but do you have any link to download a copy of it? I saw your car modification. Appreciated your choice . I recently bought a lift up reverse gear knob. Could you help me to install from ur past exp? Moreover i found my headlamp has provision for fog lights but its not really there neither the dashboard button. Can i install set of front fog lamp? then How?

Cheers,
Dipyaman

I bought Punto 1.2 8V with 97000 Km done. I want to know when to change the timing belt and spark plugs? Also what could be the cost for that? Does anyone suggest some good car care product also? ( exterior+interior)

Cheers.
Dipyaman

Cambelt change should be done by miles / kilometers covered or every 4 years, be wary. Also a good plan to change the coolant pump and the tensioners at the same time.

Cambelt change should be done by miles / kilometers covered or every 4 years, be wary. Also a good plan to change the coolant pump and the tensioners at the same time.

Thanks Ffoxy, i will definitely change those after my Paris trip and within 100,000 KM.
cheers,
Dipyaman

just changed timing belt & tensioner on engine thats waiting to go in. done a mini service, well hardly call it a mini one, just changed plugs.

the plugs i removed where like brand new, the oil was still nice and clean, but as ive already bought the oil & filter may aswell put them on, maybe try and save the old oil for topping up.

checked the condition of the old tensioner, was still in good condition, rotating without any play in the bearings, but as i bought timing belt kit, changed it too.

hoping to get new engine in and running on thursday, and hopefully back on the road soon after!

Hey Sam, Thanks a heaps.
I will get that Manual but do you have any link to download a copy of it? I saw your car modification. Appreciated your choice . I recently bought a lift up reverse gear knob. Could you help me to install from ur past exp? Moreover i found my headlamp has provision for fog lights but its not really there neither the dashboard button. Can i install set of front fog lamp? then How?

Cheers,
Dipyaman

which modification? ive done a few. lol
as for the manual, i dont know of a download link, but take a look about some download sites and see if it gets u anywhere. book is more usefull tho as u can have it to hand when ur out in the car.
gear knob depends on which one u got. they should also come with instructions. the original knob should just pull off tho, may need a bit of brute force.
u can install fogs, BUT, it will mean new wiring loom, headlights with fog lamps installed (for the easier option) and the switch controls from a model that had fogs fitted.

A long journey with an old cam belt could get expensive in recovery fees if it fails. They suffer more from age than they do miles so best get the belt changed before doing the run. As its not high miles the coolant pump may be ok, but if cheap swap it anyway.

just changed timing belt & tensioner on engine thats waiting to go in. done a mini service, well hardly call it a mini one, just changed plugs.

the plugs i removed where like brand new, the oil was still nice and clean, but as ive already bought the oil & filter may aswell put them on, maybe try and save the old oil for topping up.

checked the condition of the old tensioner, was still in good condition, rotating without any play in the bearings, but as i bought timing belt kit, changed it too.

hoping to get new engine in and running on thursday, and hopefully back on the road soon after!

How much did it cost you to change your timing belt and tensioner on the engine ? I'm thinking to do mine.

it cost me €30 for the timing belt & tensioner. changed it myself as its not to hard to do
kits aint to expensive its the labor costs that bring up the price. depending on if ur running on a 8v or a 16v will depend on costs for it. 16v engines are more of bitch to do and u will need cam locking tools etc so naturally costs more. if u have an 8v, u will prob be looking at less than £300.

Back