Technical Timing belt change,

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt change,

Punt0

Hi All and happy new year

I've decided as I don’t have a hang over to do a timing belt change on the wifes car.

I just want to get some advice, When it was very cold a week ago I tried to start the car (55sx 96) and it wouldn’t start, checked under the bonnet and noticed the timing belt was loosing teeth, I guess from that the water pump had froze, I checked the expansion tank and that was froze.

I then just rolled the car into the garage and left it until now.

I was wondering if the timing would be out as the engine has not run since the big freeze and also whether it is worth changing the water pump, I’ve not seen any water leeks.

Thanks

Hi All and happy new year

I've decided as I don’t have a hang over to do a timing belt change on the wifes car.

I just want to get some advice, When it was very cold a week ago I tried to start the car (55sx 96) and it wouldn’t start, checked under the bonnet and noticed the timing belt was loosing teeth, I guess from that the water pump had froze, I checked the expansion tank and that was froze.

I then just rolled the car into the garage and left it until now.

I was wondering if the timing would be out as the engine has not run since the big freeze and also whether it is worth changing the water pump, I’ve not seen any water leeks.

Thanks

given the system froze then i would be changing the pump regardless
a full flush would be in order too
why did it freeze? was the coolant overdue a change or an incorrect mix?

Yeah I think I will, the car has loses water and needs topping up every few weeks, air seems to get in the system and causes it to overheat on longish journeys, because of this not the correct mixture has been used.

See a bubbling around thermostat when hot, might just take off and do pump at same time.

Just taken timing belt cover off and the belt looks bad,missing loads of teeth, had a look at the oil and it suggests that the head has gone, nice creamy coloured muck in the filer cap and in the tubes to the air box.

Wondering now whether all the works worth it, car only on 60k miles

1996 punto 55sx

Just taken timing belt cover off and the belt looks bad,missing loads of teeth, had a look at the oil and it suggests that the head has gone, nice creamy coloured muck in the filer cap and in the tubes to the air box.

Wondering now whether all the works worth it, car only on 60k miles

1996 punto 55sx

Yes, this is the question, is it worth it. If you can do the work yourself or have a mate who can do this for mate rates. Assuming the car is in half decent condition for age...etc well only you can answer this. Best of luck.(y)

Will start having a better look tomorrow, I prob will do it, only done head gasket on a nova about 10 years ago when I changed the value seals.

The oil on the dipstick seems fine, I'm wondering if the Mayo in the filler cap is just condensation where the car has been sitting for a week or so in the cold and snow,

Hopefully eurocarparts are open tomorrow

Thanks for the replies

Worth doing the belt, pump and thermostat along with an oil and filter change. Make sure its used properly after that and recheck at next weeks check.

Doubt anywhere will be open tomorrow, not only is it a holiday, its a Sunday.

Cheers

D

I agree with above do the work yourself but I would do the timing belt only to get car running & get the coolant sniff tested at a garage for failed headgasket then you can decide what to do from there.

Re: Timing belt change, FIXED

Thanks for the advise people, I changed the timing belt today along with the water pump and all working fine, had a neighbour pop round who is ex RAC and he said the gunk in the filler cap is prob just the car does short journeys which it does, he said the car sounds fine otherwise.

He also suggested to put some additive called K-seal in the water as this is brilliant stuff and will cure and small leaks in the system, asked in halfords and they don’t do it but the guy there said its suppose to be the dogs, hopefully my local eurocarparts do.

Has anyone used this stuff.

Hi, glad to hear it's all sorted, but unless you really need to put a sealant in the coolant for leaks I would avoid as have read that some of these products can block some parts of the system leading to more trouble.(y)

Back