Technical Timing Belt change

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt change

ne1l

Established member
I'm planning on visiting my dad over easter and will be doing 900mile round trip (450 there Friday and 450 back on Monday)!

My timing belt is recommended to be changed soon i.e. in 5000 miles time! Is it ok to do this trip do you think and have it changed when I come back? I did try to book it in before I went but garage couldn't fit me in until next Wednesday?

I am a bit worried as I know the consequences of timing belt snap!!

The cars fully serviced and maintained and isn't abused in a driving style!!

Would it be ok?

Ok cool. I was worried I'd be looking at £1000's for repairs if it went on my way there or back at 70mph on the motorway :eek:

P.S. The official Fiat manual of the car recommends 72K for a belt change, however, I got my hands on an engineers manual (sisters boyfriend used to work in a Fiat garage a while back) and it recommends that it is changed around the 50K mark :confused:

Anyway I've done 45K just now so I'm 5K short of the 50K but a whopping 27K short of the Fiat manual mark :confused:

My punto Mk2 1.2 8v has 31K miles and im going to have my timing belt changed soon, because my waterpump is making a squeaking noise, and i dont want to risk it, might aswell change it now then wait for something bad to happen!

Back