General Timing Belt Change 1.2 16v

Currently reading:
General Timing Belt Change 1.2 16v

mike_p33

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone can help with a problem that I have run into whilst attempting to change the timing belt on my wife's mk2 Punto 1.2 16v.

I have done a fair bit of research so was fully armed with the Haynes manual, cylinder dowels and cam locking tools, and set to on the job.

I got as far as removing the belt covers, top engine mounting, lower wheel arch access panel, auxillary pulley, locking the camshaft and then the problem - removing the engine mounting lower bracket that bolts to the side of the engine, and covers the tensioning pulley. Haynes just says remove the 6 bolts and remove the bracket. I managed to remove the 5 bolts visible around the edge of the bracket but can't even see the sixth. It appears to run through the centre of the bracket.

How does it come off? It is recessed too far into the bracket to get a ring spanner on, and the clearance inside the engine bay to the inner wing is only about 2", so no room for a socket.

Do I need a special tool/ socket to get it off?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Dave, thanks for advice,

Bought a 13mm deep socket, and tried it yesterday, but it is too long.
Socket + short extension bar will be even longer.

bottom bracket 1.jpg

The bolt appears to run thru the centre of the bracket. I can't see it but can get a standard length socket on it that then is too far into the recess. The other problem is the space between the bracket and the inner wing - about 20mm. As you can see from the pic my standard socket ratchet wont fit in that gap from either above or below. My torque wrench will just fit into the gap, but i am assuming that if and when I resolve the socket length problem, as soon as I start to loosen and unwind the bolt it will jam the ratchet against the inner wing.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can't see the bolt but the bracket wont budge with the other 5 bolts out - is it thru the middle?

Car is 2002 Mk2 with aircon.

Just a final point, Haynes says remove part of inlet manifold to change belt. Really necessary?

Look forward to any advice from anyone who has solved this.

If the OP's sockets are too long support the engine on an axle stand and remove the gearbox mount. This is the method used on HGTs and allows more space to push the whole lump across. Turn the gearbox mounting bolts just enough to loosen them then use lots of plus gas or similar sprayed down the threads. When threads are well soaked unscrew carefully. The other end of the bolt threads tend to rust and the bolts can seize 1/2 way out. If that happens, force will just shear off the captive nuts. Not good.

Back