Time to design an mdf floor for the cento!

Currently reading:
Time to design an mdf floor for the cento!

project-cinqy

Ok, after custard's berated us about the sub rattling round in the back of the car, i suppose it's time to work out how to hold it all down. Heres my idea, mostly pinched from custard and bushboy's installs:

The floor will be a double layer, so as to hide the wiring nicely.
The sub will be fixed to a removable section to allow access to the spare, I'll hold this in place with a couple of latches of some sort (ideas on this are v. welcome.)
The amp will sit flush with the top layer.
I may incorporate a way to quickly unplug the sub to remove it, anybody done this or can recommend what kind of connectors would be best. The connectors will go on the main floor, and the sub wires will plug into it.

This probably wont get done till nearer xmas, when I actually have some cash, so I need to know what thickness of mdf I need, and what size the supporting batons for the top layer need to be?

Cheers
Jon+Em

(Edit) oh and our box has a lip around the edge, so can I just make up some clamps to hold it down by that? That way I wont have to drill the box at all!

I will post pictures of my build tomorrow and give you some ideas about two layer builds. Mine can all be taken out in minutes due to the design and choice of materials. It's in my dining room at the moment due to a long illness. MDF for the build is not necessary, for enclosures yes but for amp boxes I would go lighter. It might be a Stilo but the principles the same.

For a brief viewing take a look at http://www.bozzy.f2s.com/ to get some ideas but remember, even with 2 subs & 2 amps, this all comes out in a jiffy.

Simple hardboard covered in carpet and leather. Dirt cheap, for all woodwork/framework I spent £14.00. Carpet £15.00. I spent a bit on leather but that's not necessary. Obviously the Subs are in MDF but you sound like you already have that sorted.

Personally I would look at using plywood, especially as the base of an amp rack. A bit more sturdy that hardboard IMO. Plywood is also very easy to work with. (y)

bozzy said:
Hold it hardboard, strike that, PLYWOOD is what I used, (Thanks Chaos), I have used simple 35mm x 22mm studding for the frames.

I could see hardboard working for the top part of your rack (maybe), but I didn't think hardboard would have been suitable for the rest of a rack.

project-cinqy said:
okey dokey cheers evryone, will post when done!

Any more ideas welcome!

Jon+Em

Make provision for some soundproofing. If you're gonna do it, you may as well do it properly :)

bozzy said:
I don't think I could have screwed the amps down to hardboard? Took some drilling so had to be plywood.

No you wouldn't have been able to mount the amps to hardboard. But I didn't want to say 'but you can't have made it out of hardboard'.

I think hardboard may work for the very top part of the rack i.e. the piece with holes cut out to fit around the amps, but I would use plywood for the whole thing (y)

Thats sorta how ours will look, just without the walls. The sub will be mounted onto the removable section, so it comes out easily. Whats the cheapest way to soundproof the boot? I'll be carpeting over the wheel arches, so i can put something underneith. Havent got much in the way of fundage tho, so needs to be as low cost as I can get it.

Jon+Em

project-cinqy said:
I may incorporate a way to quickly unplug the sub to remove it, anybody done this or can recommend what kind of connectors would be best. The connectors will go on the main floor, and the sub wires will plug into it.

hey,

i kno this aint been posted on for a while but had a idea for this problem. i work in entertainment and theatre and we use a connector on speakers called a speakon made by neutrix. these are quick release connectors which are very robust and look more interesting than the ordinary jack plugs. can also get panel mounted ones for you to put in your floor. they have 4 pins so 2 sets of speakers can be run off one plug.

i had never thought of using these in the car until i saw something similar used on a demo build done by JBL on theyre website

heres where i buy them from if your interested,

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...arch&Ntt=speakon&Ntk=gensearch&comSearch=true

hope this is some help
luke

Last edited:
mog1571 said:
hey,

i kno this aint been posted on for a while but had a idea for this problem. i work in entertainment and theatre and we use a connector on speakers called a speakon made by neutrix. these are quick release connectors which are very robust and look more interesting than the ordinary jack plugs. can also get panel mounted ones for you to put in your floor. they have 4 pins so 2 sets of speakers can be run off one plug.

i had never thought of using these in the car until i saw something similar used on a demo build done by JBL on theyre website

heres where i buy them from if your interested,

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...arch&Ntt=speakon&Ntk=gensearch&comSearch=true

hope this is some help
luke

I used them a few years back - panel mounted connector on a false floor and i had a dual voice coil sub using the 4 connectors. Heavy duty - you'll struggle to snap them!!

Best connector for the job. You can buy them in maplins also.

Back