General tightening up handbrake?

Currently reading:
General tightening up handbrake?

I have a MK2 punto and i feel that it is very loose! There is a very big hill near my house and i cant be bothered using the handbrake anymore as my car still rolls back! I can set of with the handbrake on, which means cant do handbrake stops! so is there a way?

thanks

I think mk2 are nearly the same as mk1 so....

1)find some level ground and leave car in gear(obviously engine off)

2)remove the handbrake cover(three 10 or 11mm nuts)

3)Pull handbrake up three clicks.you will see two wires connect to the equaliser bar then,to a single wire and finally disappers under the handbrake.There is a deep 11mm nut that is a little difficult to get at unless you have flexiable extenstion-I made it easy and quicker by getting a lever(hammer handle,pry bar) and push the equaliser bar forward(towards dashboard) and tightened the nut with my fingers.

4)take car out of gear and jack the car up at the rear wheel(make sure you use safety precautions when jacking as i accept no responsabilty if you injure yourself)
Spin the rear wheel and what you are checking for is binding,make sure there is none with the handbrake off.If you have binding, slacken off the 11mm nut until it stops binding.check the other wheel to make sure that is not binding either.

One last thing,Its normal for the equaliser bar to sit a little to the left or right.If the equaliser bar is touching the bottom of the handbrake on one side when applied,your cable is stretched and will need to be replaced.

This guide is for mk1 punto with drum brakes but it will be very similar,if not the same.
BE CAREFUL WITH BRAKING SYSTEMS,if you have any doubt about working on braking systems,leave it to a professional.

Hope its helped!(y)

I forgot, i will make a guide on saturday(hopefully) and see if i can get it posted on the guide section but ill have to ask.

suggest also remove rear brake drums and check brake shoes for wear and replace if necessary (also carefully check wheel slave cylinders and replace if in doubt or if high mileage; tightening the cable at the handbrake is only to take up any slack/stretching of handbrake cable

The arms also seem to bend making it look like the cable has stretched. I would fit new arms first then go for the cable if its still not pulling up hard. What a shame that separate circuit hydraulic handbrakes are illegal.

Back