Technical Ticking noise

Currently reading:
Technical Ticking noise

fiatritmo

Rust never sleeps
My Stilo 1.6 16V sometimes has a strange ticking noise in the engine. Anything I should be worried about?

Cam belt tensioner.
It's in a nice irregular jazz beat but nicely in time with the engine.

I prefer to use an engineer's stethoscope but you can put the pointed end of a long screwdriver against the cambelt cover and your ear on the handle and you'll pinpoint it there

Careful if you have long hair and no dangling scarves please:)

Maybe had a new cambelt and tensioner recently?

Remember rhythmic noises was their main selling point

Last edited:
Should I be worried about this noise, or can I safely ignore it?

About an hour after I made the clip above, the noise was gone, so it's not there all the time.

By the way, the cambelt was changed some time last year (summer, I think) at 70,000 KM, it's now at nearly 100,000 KM.

Last edited:
hi i have had a stilo now 12 months and when the car is idling there is a ticking noise all the time ever since i got it, in time with the engine idle, its abit like a spark ticking noise you would get when you pull a lead off but slighly different not as sharp if you get me lol , i know the cam belt was done a 40,000 and now its on 60 000 i cant really find where its coming from though doesnt seem to be cam belt area , is there anything on the stilo that ticks normally like an injector etc on idle or something to do with air flow, thanks

Hi all.
Sounds like bottom pulley to me, not sure about the petrol but the diesel has a rubber centre in it that splits.
The noise usually stops once the engine is hot but will come back if you turn the air con on (when it’s warm enough to engage).
If you take off the plastic cover behind the o/s/f wheel you can easily see if the rubber has split, it’s an easy job for torx bolts, pulley about £85:00 from Fiat.
Good luck.

i know what you mean but on the crank pulley it would be exactly matching and in time to the engine rpm. These noises aren't

crankshaft sensor.JPG
1.6 is a solid metal pulley and has a huge centre bolt that is a pig to remove. So don't go there, it's awful

Last edited:
Mine had a random idle churping noise at 46k. Rang alarm bells straight away. Withing a month I had the cambelt, idlers and tensioner changed. I went for a new water pump just to on the safe side. I got mine done by FIAT and the engineer who carried out the work said I was lucky because the idler was just about to let go.

Cambelt for sure. Dont wait a minute or suffer the consequences.

Back