Think a trip to court is in order

Currently reading:
Think a trip to court is in order

Most likley bordem is why tou were stopped, but your funny remark might have reminded him of how boring he is and maybe thats why he gave you some. (n)

You can go to court and defend yourself but expect anything, if you do make sure you have a good well constructed argument about the incident and make sure to point out relevant facts, maybe take a few pictures of the area at around the same time you were stopped to display the volume of pedestrians etc and state that the police man stopped infront of you.

Remember that the Police are allowed to stop almost anywhere and you might be reminded of this fact in court, your defence would be something like they can stop anywhere when conducting police work, although they were, it was not exactly an emergency and they placed the public at a greater risk then you did and you done in unintentionally and they clearly new where they stopped etc etc blah blah

Thanks trancendental, it is just like swings and roundabouts i guess, if it does go to the courts then they might not see it worth it and jus chuck it out but they might proceed in which case i have a strong arguement so we shall see

fella, you really haven't a chance of getting it thrown out. You were caught by a copper parked or stopped or waiting illegally on a zigzag for a zebra crossing - a court is gonna see the safety angle of this and want to have your nuts off.

In my own opinion, you have - without intending to - broken the law and can expect some form of punishment. Your best bet I would say is not to contest the case, but be open, honest and apologetic. Explain that it was a mistake, that you are sorry, and that it will mean a problem for you if they give points.

Really, you have as much chance of getting off scot free as someone caught doing 40 in a 30 limit. There really is nothing to deny.

fair enough cheers, i see from a police aspect how i might have done wrong but the other police officer in the passenger seat said if he knew i was just dropping two people off and would av been on my way he would have let me off :rolleyes:

Trancendental said:
Yes he does, simple case of police man not bothering to turn up and he wins, its onlt an extra £40 if he loses providing he don't say anything really silly ;)

Cheers, so it would cost me £40 if i lose? that aint bad

Yes there are set guidelines for both the police and magistrates when it comes to points. I have loads of offence codes on many pieces of paper some are simple £30, others are £60 and 3points.

Obviously im not going to post all of the codes but we dont hae discretion in regards "do we give a £30 or a £60 3points" it is fixed.

Similarly the magistrates have a big book of what can be described as "sentancing tarrifs" which have all the offences and what the recomended "punishment" is.

Oh and people, dont be under the illusion that there has to be 2 coppers present to issue tickets!! Its not true!

turboned said:
also not quite true, my statement attached to the ticket can suffice in my absence........

Indeed. Also, if you choose to go to court and plead guilty then witnesses do not attend, its only on non guilty court sessions (trials) where witnesses are required :)

Crazydave, have you sought legal advice apart from on these pages?

If you go it alone the magistrates will not entertain your "not fair" argument. Get some legal advice if your license means anything to you. If the technicality does exist I cannot see them bothering to adjourn and re-date for £30/£60.

You were parked on the zig-zag no matter how much you wish you wern't. No use trying to get off the charge, just try to limit the damage.

Get some advice and then go to court. Explain how you need your car for work/college/whatever and not having use of the vehicle would seriously harm your day-to-day life. Say how the act was not intentional and (if you really were close to the end) say you genuinly believed you were not parked on the line - you misjudged the position of your wheel.

I know someone who got 5 points instead of 6 when caught flogging it down the A1. Got let off a point (which would have given him 12) due to him needing his vehicle for work.

yeah the not fair arguement generally tends to look a lot like this in front of a magistrate....

whine.jpg
:D

Hellcat said:
You were parked on the zig-zag no matter how much you wish you wern't. No use trying to get off the charge, just try to limit the damage.

Get some advice and then go to court. Explain how you need your car for work/college/whatever and not having use of the vehicle would seriously harm your day-to-day life. Say how the act was not intentional and (if you really were close to the end) say you genuinly believed you were not parked on the line - you misjudged the position of your wheel.

I know someone who got 5 points instead of 6 when caught flogging it down the A1. Got let off a point (which would have given him 12) due to him needing his vehicle for work.

I wasnt parked ;) its a techincallity. i wasnt able to asses my positioning on the road ;) yeh seeking legal advice if it comes to it :eek:

sorry i havent read through all the thread, but i read your first post :eek:

i reckon the magistrates would be pretty pissed off listening to you trying to get out of this

can they not endorse more points, fine and costs on top of your legal bill if you lose - i not had chance to ask my dad about it yet

id be gutted to get done for something as trivial as this but after much kicking and screaming i would accept that i was in the wrong

Wow! it does sound a bit harsh but as i have no clue with regards to the law i wont comment on if you will or wont get off on this one crazydave, but good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

i have to say im a little suprised by some of the replies. Plenty of people have posted seeking advice when tickets have been issued to them and have recieved fair comments on both sides i.e. they deserved it or they didnt. yet it seems to be that the majority of people on this thread are been pretty unfair with regards to their comments and replies. :(

yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think some of the comments are a little harsh and unfair. everyone is different and expresses their opinion differently. im sure dave himself thinks it was a dumbass thing to do and will learn from this. :rolleyes:

im sure everyone with points/fines/that have been stopped have thought it was harsh at the time but we all do things we regret at times and take little risks hoping we dont get caught. its just a pretty rubbish that advice cant be given fairly and without singling people out.

rant over :(

sportingsmissus said:
Wow! it does sound a bit harsh but as i have no clue with regards to the law i wont comment on if you will or wont get off on this one crazydave, but good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

i have to say im a little suprised by some of the replies. Plenty of people have posted seeking advice when tickets have been issued to them and have recieved fair comments on both sides i.e. they deserved it or they didnt. yet it seems to be that the majority of people on this thread are been pretty unfair with regards to their comments and replies. :(

yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think some of the comments are a little harsh and unfair. everyone is different and expresses their opinion differently. im sure dave himself thinks it was a dumbass thing to do and will learn from this. :rolleyes:

im sure everyone with points/fines/that have been stopped have thought it was harsh at the time but we all do things we regret at times and take little risks hoping we dont get caught. its just a pretty rubbish that advice cant be given fairly and without singling people out.

rant over :(

:) thanks kirsty, i know i dont need to be in a car to be a dumbass but in this scenario i wasnt trying to be :rolleyes: good to hear from u again (y) ive put forward an appeal and will be dealt with in due course (summons to be issued) :)

dave

Back