The Worlds Best Mot Failiers.......ever

Currently reading:
The Worlds Best Mot Failiers.......ever

Haven't got any real major stories, and the Punto isn't likely to develop any soon - both it's MOTs went through without needing anything doing (and no, they didn't immeadiatly follow a service).

My previous car, a 93L Astra got through its MOT in late 2000. 3 weeks later there was pretty much complete brake failure when I was driving away from a Vauxhall garage near where I work (I had gone to ask about checking over the brakes!). They couldn't do it for a week, so I booked it into my local masterfit for the next day. Had to drive getting on for 30 miles with barely any brakes! Was fixed for £300, only for 3 months later to be written off. Got what I paid for the car plus the £300 back, and never looked back by getting the Punto!

i had a ford onion diesel once that failed. it took the tester 2 fail sheets to list all the faults. he said it should be scrapped but i wanted to know exactly what was wrong. got my moneys worth out of that mot!
both sides floor pans were rotten, brake pipes, both front arms, etc but the best part was the front cross member - it had completely rotted through so the only thing holding the front of the car together was the bumper!!
40 quid for a crossmember, loads of dexion shelving from work, a borrowed welder and a week off work had it back on the road. oh and a different test station as the first bloke p***ed me right off!

easy :D

My worsed MOT was in my first car a mini 850.

I took it in and it PASSED on 8 things including water in the washer bottle, seat belts worked, and horn worked.

I was told to leave it there and not drive it :( I said " bugger that i'll drive it till the tax runs out" :eek:

Re: The Worlds Best Mot Failures.......ever

Right your not gonna belive this but my Marea FAILED! its MOT on Friday!.And your not gonna belive why.8 months ago i bought 4 fox alloys with tyres fitted from Halfords....when the guy MOT'd it he found that one of them had a gash 2 inches long in the inner wall and it was perrished.I'm not joking you could've fit your finger nail down some of these cracks.Thats what happens when you buy cheap s**t tyres from China that you've never heard of before so i had to buy two new BF Goodrich ones to go on the front at £83 a hoop!> if anyone tells you that rubber is rubber then set them straight! :bang:

I've never had any really bad MOT's, cause if I think it's gonna be that bad I scrap the car.

Worst thing that's happened was driving down a dual carriage way on a hot summer's day and noticed shed loads of smoke behind me. Pulled over popped the bonnet and flames gushed out. Bizarrely, at the side of the road was a small stream with a watering can in it. Fire out, everyone couldn't believe my luck as I was five up at the time, although I think it was bad luck, cos I would have been better off if the car had just burnt.

I also had an engine fall out of my Calibra while I was driving along.

The Negotiator said:
My Uno flew through the MOT, 10 minutes later I heard a clunking noise and the catalyst heatshield was running along the floor lol.

heh me the same, I drove out from NTC and after few km's, back part of exhaust broken - sounds bit rallying, thanks god it didn't happened few minutes earlier :D

took my last car (clio 1.8 16v) for a clutch cable. when i got it back the garage told me the clutch was going, the power steering pump was gone, one of my breakes wasnt working at all, the chassis was badly twisted(knew that was ify), and all the jacking points were rusted so badly it wouldnt pass the nxt mot. he told me i best get shot of it.
part ex'd it for my punto the garage werent too happy when they had a good look at it and scrapped it

rear number plate light had burn't out.

and apparently front washer didn't work (they couldn't figure out you have to pull it and move the stalk up or down, as it doesn't have a wash wipe, and no mk1 punto ever did, never the less they wouldn't listen and failed it, so I phoned fiat garage the next day and told them to put the mot garage straight).
got it sorted though, cost me 9pence and a phone call:D

Had a TD tipo failed for rust through the rear quarter panel, high emissions and something else which I've forgotten.

Took it somewhere else who said it was the lowest emissions they'd ever seen, the hole in the quarter panel wasn't structural, and they noticed the engine subframe needed some welding.

Don't think I'll be going to the first garage again anytime soon.

well its their own personal opinion.

I still check my car myself before it goes into an mot, I know most of the simple tests, but obviously I can't give a co readout:p

that way when they say, you bottom ball joints have more play in them than...... I can tell them there isn't any:cool:

like you found though, I'd be more worried about my engine dropping out, or front suspension ripping off than a bit of extra polution!

and the last two mot's I got done (both in sunderland at different garages), Iwas told my car was 'canny, for its age'
whatever that means in local dialect

Had an Alfa Giullietta which failed because the horn didn't work. The chap gave me 5 minutes to see what I could do. What I knew and didn't tell him was the horn worked with the key out of the ignition but not if the key was in. So, I let him walk a few yards, took the key out and pressed the horn. I left a few minutes later with a new MOT certificate:) Italian electrics - never a dull moment.

My last Marea use to fail on emmisions, so took it to the garage I had it serviced at, they put a tester on it and everything was ok, took it back and it passed. This happened twice at the same MOT station and the owner got a bit upset when I asked to see his calibration certificate. We wait to see what the Stilo does.

I once had a Triumph 2500S estate bought at auction on the southside of Glasgow IIRC. Took it for its MoT, tester put it on the ramps and then stopped the ramps after a couple of feet, took hold of the sill and switched the ramps on again, most of the car carried on up with the ramps apart from the sill which stayed in the tester's hand:( I think it cost £50 to get new metal welded in. Another vital piece of equipment for that car was a hammer and a couple of wooden wedges - to keep the tailgate shut:D

The funniest thing that ever happened to me was when i took the MGB to the place I use and it flew through as usual. On with the baseball cap fire it up and just as I drove off a cheery blast on the air horns for the lads, only for the fuse to blow , however a pass is a pass and i had the bit of paper in the glove box :)

About three years ago I fancied a 2005 Jaguar XK8 very low mileage I think about 50k one owner full history etc. I phoned the garage that was selling it and they said it was in immaculate condition and going in for it's MOT tomorrow and would ring me to arrange a viewing and test drive. Having not heard from them after a couple of days I rang them to jog there memory and was told that the car failed it's MOT due to severe structural rust underneath basically righting the car off.

A few years back we had a Moggy Minor come in for mot
the tester shouted me over, about a 3rd of the chassis each
side had been replaced with wood, cracking job but not quite
what we were looking for.

Almost 16 years between posts?! Is that a record?

full

I did have a lovely one back from around the time of the original post - my last (strangely enough) Land Rover. It was a slightly ropey looking S2A I'd bought off Ebay fairly cheap. I wasn't too bothered about it's condition since I intended to do some fairly major modifications to it, but it had a full 12 months MOT so driving it home was fine. Well, except for the flickering lights, non-functional indicators and near-90 degrees play in the steering, which made progress home somewhat more slow and fraught than I intended.

So I started going over my fresh purchase with a fine toothed comb - chassis rotted out on 3 sides near engine mount, rear floor made of plywood covered in underseal with the seats held to it with self tappers, electrics basically made from recycled 13 amp mains cable, section of exhaust made from bent scaffolding pole, etc, etc.

I decided probably the quickest way to get this rolling pile of scrap roadworthy was to transfer the chassis plate and number plates to a new car, and then it occurred to me - the chassis plate on 'Series' Land Rovers was pop-riveted on, so that must be how this ruin got it's MOT - the chassis plate plus number plates must have been put on a different Landy 🙀

Back