General The power of the 750!

Currently reading:
General The power of the 750!

Just a quick post to say that my newly MOT'd car is now taxed and back on the road. I will take some piccies inside and out and post them at the weekend.

I am sure it will be a funny couple of weeks getting used to the car. It has not been used for a year or two and it is doing a few 'strange things' but by the looks of it nothing too unusual for a classic Panda. The guy at the garage says a lot of these will be cured by everyday use.

I was comfortably cruising at 60 today on the A14 - although a little under powered the 5th gear does compensate for that. And as for town driving, the car rocks! It's nimble on it's toes and really good fun.

Will be in touch with teething problems in due course...

It might not be the most powerful car, but it puts some more powerful to shame. It looks better than many others, handles great and most importantly: It has got sytle.

nuovapanda said:
well said, i was parked next to a new panda recently and thought the original just had cleaner and more defined lines.

It certainly does provoke interest. I had a complete stranger today ask if that 'nice black car' belonged to me! Boosted my ego until she said that she really like UNOs...

Pandarus said:
the 5th gear
So is your Panda a 750 Mania? It's the only UK-spec 750 I can think of that had a five-speed 'box.

EDIT - Just read your signature. Really should concentrate a bit more...

nuovapanda said:
well said, i was parked next to a new panda recently and thought the original just had cleaner and more defined lines.
Don't you mean straighter lines? :p
The original Panda was designed primarily with simplicity in mind. I read an article by the late LJK Setright several year ago, about how great the Panda was. I remember one example of his being that the windscreen is just a flat sheet of glass, making it very cheap to build and replace. The original Panda is boxy, but kind of cool (y)
H

Last edited:
Steve said:
Must be, mine is a 750 Formula.

What other luxuries do you have Pandarus? A clock? Carpet? Rear wash/wipe? :)

Hi Steve, the luxuries (!) I have in my 750 MANIA are as follows:

Carpet (which is the horrible plastic fibre stuff that quite honestly looks about 114 years old instead of 14)
5-Speed (that was nice)
Rear wash wipe (I like that so I can gesture at big cars that look like they are on tow in the rear view mirror)
Proper seats (although I quite like the hammocks)
No clock though, so I bought one from Wilko's and put it in

It's funny, I never thought of those as luxuries before! Mind you, I had an Uno formula and it had a ONE speed heater - but I still loved that car despite the fact it just rusted apart.

Pandarus said:
Hi Steve, the luxuries (!) I have in my 750 MANIA are as follows:

Carpet (which is the horrible plastic fibre stuff that quite honestly looks about 114 years old instead of 14)
5-Speed (that was nice)
Rear wash wipe (I like that so I can gesture at big cars that look like they are on tow in the rear view mirror)
Proper seats (although I quite like the hammocks)
No clock though, so I bought one from Wilko's and put it in

It's funny, I never thought of those as luxuries before! Mind you, I had an Uno formula and it had a ONE speed heater - but I still loved that car despite the fact it just rusted apart.

Wow! How spoilt are you!? :D Do I have the most basic Panda on the forum then? :slayer:

hmallett said:
Don't you mean straighter lines? :p
The original Panda was designed primarily with simplicity in mind. I read an article by the late LJK Setright several year ago, about how great the Panda was. I remember one example of his being that the windscreen is just a flat sheet of glass, making it very cheap to build and replace. The original Panda is boxy, but kind of cool (y)
H

The Panda is a modern classic! End of.

Back