General The Panda in today's Times

Currently reading:
General The Panda in today's Times

Schwenck

Embrace depreciation...
A soufflé of an article (not in itself worth the purchase price of The Times) by Giles Smith in today's edition. Not an in depth review of the Multijet but he does make some interesting points regards the Panda and how it relates to the 500.

I have a scan which I can post tomorrow by when it'll be chip paper... ;)

(or PM me)

The present generation of Pandas comes in no fewer than seven different formats, ranging from the standard kid-lugger, with a number of different sized engines, through to the Panda 100HP, in which the car gets an unnecessarily big, 1.4-litre engine and a set of visible brake callipers and reaches out to a whole new generation of uninsured car-jackers.

But was this bit really necessary? :confused:

Sadly I think that last paragraph lets down an otherwise good and informative article (n)

Chris

the Panda 100HP, in which the car gets an unnecessarily big, 1.4-litre engine and a set of visible brake callipers and reaches out to a whole new generation of uninsured car-jackers.

1.4 is big?

Are not all brake callipers visible on cars or have they fetched some out that are hidden away now?

And is he saying that a lot of people will drive the 100hp uninsured?

What a complete load of bobbins.

I would expect this sort of comment in The Daily Toerag but The Times!

Ooops, forgot, the 100hp isn't a Chelsea tractor so maybe it is a fair comment from The Times.

:bang:

I didn't think the article was too bad if thats all he can really come up with to criticise the Panda then i'm not too bothered.

However who would want to nick a 100 HP Panda for? Its not as if the roads of Britain are full of them, why not nick a car that isn't bleeding obvious such as *cough* Corsa *cough* Saxo

A bit of a meh article tbh. I wasn't really sure what the point of the article was? It wasn't a review, it just seemed to be written by someone who thought that they were more interesting than they actually are.

1.4 is big?

Are not all brake callipers visible on cars or have they fetched some out that are hidden away now?

And is he saying that a lot of people will drive the 100hp uninsured?

What a complete load of bobbins.

I would expect this sort of comment in The Daily Toerag but The Times!

Ooops, forgot, the 100hp isn't a Chelsea tractor so maybe it is a fair comment from The Times.

:bang:

I think the 1.4 engine is big for a Panda. I would have much prefered a 1.2 16v, performance probably wouldn't be far of, and the fuel consumption would probably be much better.

The article says "uninsured car-jackers", which implies that people will steal them. Surely all car-jackers are uninsured? One of my concerns with getting a 100HP is that the car may attract thieves, especially if it has red calipers.

I think the 1.4 engine is big for a Panda. I would have much prefered a 1.2 16v, performance probably wouldn't be far of, and the fuel consumption would probably be much better.

The article says "uninsured car-jackers", which implies that people will steal them. Surely all car-jackers are uninsured? One of my concerns with getting a 100HP is that the car may attract thieves, especially if it has red calipers.

The 1.4 engine isn't big by any means, the Twingo RS has a 1.6 with 133bhp. The 100hp isn't fast either by any means, not really.

It has a keycode immobiliser anyway so you need the key to drive it off.

I leave my car all over one of hte most deprived council estates around (ie Wythenshawe, Manchester) on a daily basis as part of my job and I never worry about it.

I'm not sure any potential thieves would have the slightest idea what a panda 100hp is in all honesty.

Last edited:
The 1.4 engine isn't big by any means, the Twingo RS has a 1.6 with 133bhp. The 100hp isn't fast either by any means, not really.

It has a keycode immobiliser anyway so you need the key to drive it off.

I leave my car all over one of hte most deprived council estates around (ie Wythenshawe, Manchester) on a daily basis as part of my job and I never worry about it.

I'm not sure any potential thieves would have the slightest idea what a panda 100hp is in all honesty.

I bet you'd be worried if you leave the teg there though?

I bought the Panda so I didn't need to drive the Honda every day!!!

The engine size isn't the issue, its the weight imo!.

I have a 210bhp 1.8 Honda CR-X which weighs less than my panda(y)

I am not clued up on Fiats, but a Honda B16A(1.6) Vtec is all of 5-10kg lighter than a B20(2.0) Vtec - which produces more power and a hell of a lot more torque!!!

If a 2.0 fiat engine weighed only slightly more than a 1.4, you would have a faster car, and a more 'mpg' car too - Since my Honda has changed engines, from a 1.6 to a 1.8 integra motor - I have 50 extra horses and more mpg!!!!

Small car with a light big capacity engine = WIN!!!!!

The clio 172/182 proves this!!!!

Last edited:
No, no I never take the Teg to work... my partner uses it to commute to work.

Interesting that you say that as he's trying to beat my mpg of around 35 in the Panda and has so far got near to 32mpg in the teg which isn't bad really!

Quite. Young offenders operate in a street culture which only respects/envies a handful of very popular cars. It was always thus. Many moons ago I worked on a "sink estate" and ran a Citroen BX GTi. I was convinced it would be joy ridden and trashed. Yet while my staff saw their Fords, Rovers and Vauxhalls stolen, vandalised, and even set fire to after being joyridden, the BX sat there for a year seemingly invisible and unmolested. In recent years I've used my Alfa 156 for work which also takes me into some (very) dodgy areas. It too seems blessed with invisibility: seemingly no more at risk than my Panda mjet!

Back