General the only barchetta in Syria!

Currently reading:
General the only barchetta in Syria!

aliandtheband

Hello everyone, I've been looking into this forum for awhile now and so I decided to create an account to seek some help regarding my Barchetta!
Well, about a week ago I bought a red 96' Barchetta (the only Barchetta in my country), It's in a real bad condition, anyway, after driving it for 3 days it stopped working, so I decided to start reviving it, rebuild the engine somehow and make it brand new again... took it to my mechanic and we started from the engine... anyway I'm facing some difficulties and it seems that you guys are professionals so any help would be so appreciated .

I'm facing the problems of the unavailability of some parts, I can order from abroad (Germany) if I couldn't find what I need in Syria... anyway today I had this problem with a part of the engine, I've no idea about what do you call it in English, but I think it's 'the driving gear of the timing belt' it seems that it's broken where I pointed with the red arrow

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was wondering about some stuff like the name of this part? do I've the original part or the older owner did change it with some different model (The numbers written on this are B756 and 800 on the back), I was able to find a similar part with a different number ( B757)... will it work?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another question... which car has the same engine or a similar one to the Barchetta so I can use the parts of it to fix my B!?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
you can found same engine:
  • Fiat Barchetta step1 (the older Barchetta has different ECU)
  • Fiat Barchetta step2 (probably the same ECU)
  • Alfa 156 1.8 16v (the ECU and the engine head is completely different: the Alfa engine has twin spark configuration and more power, 140-144 HP)
  • Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v (the Stilo is given with 3 more HP)
  • Lancia Lybra 1.8 16v (same engine, same ECU)

i think, about that "the driving gear" you can put any as long you can attach it and is same diameter.

• Alfa 156 1.8 16v (the ECU and the engine head is completely different: the Alfa engine has twin spark configuration and more power, 140-144 HP)

i think, about that "the driving gear" you can put any as long you can attach it and is same diameter.

I did read somewhere that the Fiat Punto HGT has the same engine, same ECU too, is it right?

What do you mean by Fiat Barchetta step1 and 2? which one do you thinik I've in my 96' Barchetta?

Thanks in advance!

btw: that list above is from Punto HGT forum, so list is compare from other models to Punto HGT.

yes, punto HGT also have same engine... but i'm not sure about ECU. maybe somebody else will know more.

1995–2002 type 1
2004–2005 type 2

this is old model
barch_big02.jpg

and new model

photo-03-fiat-barchetta.jpg

but wait until somebody confirm that

Last edited:
On your original part, there is a keyway directly opposite the worn area. On your proposed replacement, there isnt a keyway? If there is a locating, or drive key, on the shaft, then your replacement will clearly not fit. I appreciate you are going to have problems sourcing parts, but neither of the drive pullies you have look to be very good. Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

Oh, by the way F4ust has included two beautiful examples of the marque, just as God intended.

Last edited:
Hi Ali.

If your problem is anything like mine and you are having trouble getting hold of parts locally as there is not a Fiat dealer in the country (and very few Fiats only the odd imported one). Then you may have to look at bringing in parts yourself.

As you may have seen posted numerous times on the forum a good place for second hand parts is www.barchettaparts.com They have no problems shipping parts overseas. (I have just collected a package from the post office this afternoon :) If you don't see the part you need on his website or do not know the name of it take a pic and send it to him, He's very helpfull.

Most of the Fiat dealers that I have found in the uk do not ship to the middle east so I use aramex "shop and ship"

Part you have shown looks like the crankshaft pully. both parts look like they are damaged and would probably give vibration problems.

Hi Ali.

If your problem is anything like mine and you are having trouble getting hold of parts locally as there is not a Fiat dealer in the country (and very few Fiats only the odd imported one). Then you may have to look at bringing in parts yourself.

As you may have seen posted numerous times on the forum a good place for second hand parts is www.barchettaparts.com They have no problems shipping parts overseas. (I have just collected a package from the post office this afternoon :) If you don't see the part you need on his website or do not know the name of it take a pic and send it to him, He's very helpfull.

Most of the Fiat dealers that I have found in the uk do not ship to the middle east so I use aramex "shop and ship"

Part you have shown looks like the crankshaft pully. both parts look like they are damaged and would probably give vibration problems.

On your original part, there is a keyway directly opposite the worn area. On your proposed replacement, there isnt a keyway? If there is a locating, or drive key, on the shaft, then your replacement will clearly not fit. I appreciate you are going to have problems sourcing parts, but neither of the drive pullies you have look to be very good. Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

Oh, by the way F4ust has included two beautiful examples of the marque, just as God intended.

Thanks a million everyone everyone!

Back