the last great abarth

Currently reading:
the last great abarth

was the 131 'the last great abarth'

• Total voters

Grahamo

a couple of moments ago i was ear wigging a guy when he shouted out 'the fiat 131 abarth rally was the last great abarth, given a moment to think about it, i had to agree the 131 abarth probably was the last great abarth:slayer: . i would love to own a 131 abarth myself in the future, but i'm happy with my sei atm. but back to the point.
what do you think? was the 131 the last great abarth? or do you think the title should go to a 'Better' car.

over to you.
Graham

Last great Abarth has to be Lancia Delta Integrale surely?

Front-1.jpg

Nothing to contest it since.. and can't really see much in the future tbh (n)

Integrale Meisterschafte! :slayer:

er no, the Lancia wasnt an Abarth at all.
The last proper Abarth really has to be the Strada 130TC Abarth, after that there was nothing really, even if they revive the name it just wont be a fire breathing monster, just a quiet and refined fast car.

Abarth tuned surely to God? (or whatever imaginary best friend readers may have) :D

The Strada Abarth was the last car which was produced by Fiat on a seperate Abarth Production line, it was significantly upgraded and worked over by Abarth engineers. Many people don't like to agree that the Strada was the last real Abarth. Fiat shut the seperate operation down and started sticking badges on Cinquentos et al after that. The question is the last GREAT Abarth so I guess the author knows about the Strada ;)

Last edited:
all true abarths were pre1971 before fiat got their grubby mits on it.

the best? probably the Porsche 356B Carrera GTL Abarth coupe

60abarth.jpg

why? a successful german sports car was made even better by an italian company, surely thats something for all italian car fans to cherish.

Last edited:
Cos the Italians didnt touch the electrics? :D

The last proper Abarth really has to be the Strada 130TC Abarth, after that there was nothing really, even if they revive the name it just wont be a fire breathing monster, just a quiet and refined fast car.

strada 130TC, i would love one (mainly through that article in retro cars magasine, tho)

the new grande punto abarth (eseesee) is going to be quite special, though. 180bhp from a 1.4 with the dealership kit on it! thats IMENSE!:eek:
im VERY tempted to go finance and get one in a years time :D

"The real rumour is that AutoExpress showed a picture of the Fiat Grande Punto Abarth, long awaited since a year before the Grande Punto had to appear in the market list.
The Grande Punto Abarth seems it will be powered by a biturbo 1,8-liter gasoline engine, with a max power in the range of 190-205 HPs, enlarged wheel arches, precious lightning packages, and more details that resemble the Grande Punto Abarth Super200, which recently won the European Rally Championship."

Could this be true can you imagine the possibilities with this car. If this is true then Grande will be competing with Clio sport and undercutting price.

Bring on Abarth revival, yeah it may not be perfect but that is down to us to tweak and correct it.

Last edited:
Yeah GP Abarth is powered by the Bravo T-Jet sport engine. 150bhp 1.4 turbo.
Personally I think they should put something a bit bigger in the GP Abarth. Then they can put the 1.4 150bhp engine into a Panda Abarth. I would put a deposit on that right now if I thought they would do it.

Last edited:
so do you guys reckon the grande punto is going to be another crappy abarth produced by fiat, or do you believe, the abarth badge on the grande punto might once again resemble power and performance. i would probalby get an s2000 grande punto though, the sats look far better. :)

The GP punto sounds like a very capable hot hatch and the Essesse version sounds even better, more power, further enhanced suspension etc. The reviews have all be very positive which is a good sign. Don't think you will be able to buy an S2000 through the dealers thought that was the rally version?

The GP punto sounds like a very capable hot hatch and the Essesse version sounds even better, more power, further enhanced suspension etc. The reviews have all be very positive which is a good sign. Don't think you will be able to buy an S2000 through the dealers thought that was the rally version?

surely though after the abarth they probably would make the S2000 it won the european rally championship, and fiat said that was a 'test', which could me many things, does anyone here think that fiat and abarth will ever be the team they once were.

Back