General The gear knob fell off !!

Currently reading:
General The gear knob fell off !!

Yes as title says, it kind of fell off, well i say fell, more like flew across the car lol :D

Anyway, when i was driving i changed gear (as you do) when the gear knob just flew off :shrug:Some how it landed in the back of the car, was driving on a motorway at the time so couldnt really look around in the back for it. Its quite difficult to change gear with out a gear knob you no (and painful lol)

Now ive found the gear knob it wont stay on, its really loose and every time you touch it it comes straight off again. Tried super glueing it back on but it didnt work, so any idea's or do i need a new gear knob ?

About 6 months ago , an old lady in an Arosa was revving her engine at me(!!!!) while we were side by side stopped at a trafficlight.I had 4 passengers , she was alone.When it turned green , we started..She took the lead and when I tried to change from 1st to 2nd...:eek:!!!What's that in my hand????The knob!!!!!:DIf you look at it underneath , you'll see that the hole by whitch the knob sticks to the selector has possibly got cut somewhere.That's the deal with mine.I took it to the garage , and they put some kind of sticking tape around the selector , then forced the knob into it.It worked for about 2 months , when my girl drove the car and she took it off.Since then , mine is loose too and if I don't take care it gets out.It is driveable without the knob though..
The only actual solution is a new knob.Mine is leather , can't find a used one , so I need a new.How much do you suppose it is??
80 damned euros!!!!!!:bang::bang:

lol thats funny :D

Well what happened to me was i changed gear, took my hand off the wheel and heard a bang from the back of the car, i was like wtf :confused:

Then when i went to change gear again it didnt feel quite right haha, took me a while a realise that it was the gear knob flew across the car lol.

I had a quick look on ebay for a used one but coudlnt find any either.

Yeah..Old lady really was a killer!!!She would have smoked me either or else...I tried to imagine your look when you heard the bang:D:ROFLMAO:Mate you should have been funny..
If it's not a leather it's kind of cheap to buy a new one.20 euros here.

Thanks Daz , I've tried this again but I'll keep!The problem is that , because mine is a 6 speed with lift-up reverse I can only get one from the same model(MK2 sporting) not even the HGT.+It's a leather one and they usually are plastics..About the paper , mine was very strongly fitted too , but it's annoying being afraid of a fast gear change!

Yeah..Old lady really was a killer!!!She would have smoked me either or else...I tried to imagine your look when you heard the bang:D:ROFLMAO:Mate you should have been funny..
If it's not a leather it's kind of cheap to buy a new one.20 euros here.

Thanks Daz , I've tried this again but I'll keep!The problem is that , because mine is a 6 speed with lift-up reverse I can only get one from the same model(MK2 sporting) not even the HGT.+It's a leather one and they usually are plastics..About the paper , mine was very strongly fitted too , but it's annoying being afraid of a fast gear change!

Yeah now i think about it, it is funny :D Because i new the bang came from inside the car, just couldnt figure out what caused it. That is untill i went to change gear when i noticed it didnt feel quite right haha.

use 2 pak epoxy resin just hope you don't want to take it off

Thanks will try it:). And don't see why i'd need to take the gear knob back off again, never needed it to be off before.

Thanks for the help, i thought i was the only one but i guess its quite common.

hahahaha i know it could hav been dangerous but a can just imagine your face wen u heard the bang in the back of your car. i would hav **** mesel if it was me.

Back