The future of the 1.4 l T-Jet engine?

Currently reading:
The future of the 1.4 l T-Jet engine?

FIAT500L1969

Hi all,

I have been driving FIAT since I was 8 years old (and I still have that wonderful FIAT 500 L MY 1969 from my late dad).
We have always had FIAT cars in our family, totalling 56 years and counting.
Right now, I have a Punto 75 HSD MY 1994 with a mileage of 130' km, in Italy we have a Uno 1.4 i.e. S MY 1993, and my wife owns a 2008 500L 69 bhp.

I like the Tipo hatchback as an affordable and reliable family car, replacing the 500. However, I have noticed that new Tipo's are only equipped with a 1.0l petrol engine delivering 100 bhp and a 1.6l diesel engine. The famous 1.4l T-Jet has been discontinued, it seems.

I have googled around, and the T-Jet is only going to be offered in some super-sporty 500's and the Doblo. I'm afraid that Stellantis will discountinue the T-Jet in the coming 2-3 years.

Does anyone know the reason why the T-Jet has been discountinued in the Tipo family, hence reducing production volume massively?
Will it be overhauled and relaunched by Stellantis for high-volume models any time soon, or are its days counted? Is it going to live on as a niche powertrain only?
What is the company's strategy on this powertrain?

Cheers,
Nick

I like the T-jet, in fact we will probably be replacing my youngest boy's very old Vauxhall (Opel) Astra with a second hand Tipo 1.4 T-jet estate quite soon. However the T-jet is a very old design now - one reason why I like it. The new engine - firefly - is small, direct injected and turbocharged with the accent on economy. The older designs just can't compete in terms of economy and emissions. Things move on and old designs, regardless of how sensible they are, get binned.

Hi all,

I have been driving FIAT since I was 8 years old (and I still have that wonderful FIAT 500 L MY 1969 from my late dad).
We have always had FIAT cars in our family, totalling 56 years and counting.
Right now, I have a Punto 75 HSD MY 1994 with a mileage of 130' km, in Italy we have a Uno 1.4 i.e. S MY 1993, and my wife owns a 2008 500L 69 bhp.

I like the Tipo hatchback as an affordable and reliable family car, replacing the 500. However, I have noticed that new Tipo's are only equipped with a 1.0l petrol engine delivering 100 bhp and a 1.6l diesel engine. The famous 1.4l T-Jet has been discontinued, it seems.

I have googled around, and the T-Jet is only going to be offered in some super-sporty 500's and the Doblo. I'm afraid that Stellantis will discountinue the T-Jet in the coming 2-3 years.

Does anyone know the reason why the T-Jet has been discountinued in the Tipo family, hence reducing production volume massively?
Will it be overhauled and relaunched by Stellantis for high-volume models any time soon, or are its days counted? Is it going to live on as a niche powertrain only?
What is the company's strategy on this powertrain?

Cheers,
Nick
The fire engine series had ended production hence why it's been cut from most cars they Allmost certainly wont be re launched again

They will probably start to offer the 1.3 4 cylinder Firefly at some point in the arbath models would be my guess probably easy enough to make a 140-150 HP version at some point

Back